Subject: Re: mdvawv try advancing again too
Date: Aug 18, 2004 @ 20:40
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

thanx very much indeed ron
& not only for the confirmations but it is also great to know we
have all this precision power available now when necessary

what error range of gps readings are you able to obtain in the
field

we already have a few particularly elusive points
i mean besides mdvawv
that we would like to put to a finer test than we have so far been
able to do

i imagine something on the order of 10 feet is our present gps
error range
so you can see why a retractable tape measure might be better

& i say our loosely since i dont even have a gps receiver myself
& expect many members dont have a tape measure
etc etc

your home tripoint vanctn isnt one of the more elusive ones tho

> "...I really trust the surveyor guy implicitly
> all the way to the last digit..."
> That's usually a good thing.
> It wasn't always so. When I was growing up
> in sw VA, I heard that the surveyors
> who did the VA-NC-TN line got drunk one day
> and strayed a bit north.
> Kingsport, TN was supposed to have been in VA.
> Does anyone have any references or info about that?

not about the drinking or kingsport in particular
which seems too far south to have been afflicted by the border
but about these state lines in general & the jog or stitch they
produce near this tripoint
there is quite a bit in a usgs publication entitled
boundaries of the united states & the several states
by franklin k van zandt

also about this nctnva tripoint per se
see especially the parsell pdf in our files section
pp61&62
&
http://groundhog.gohdnu.org/roadtrip/day6.html

> Sorry about getting wound up and so long winded.
> Some of my favorite hot buttons were touched. :)
>
> Comments, suggestions, and especially corrections

good
no corrections
& please do hold forth as much as you like

indeed keep us correct

we are lucky to have you