Subject: Re: mdvawv try advancing again too
Date: Aug 16, 2004 @ 22:45
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

& just for the record & posterity
the official vawv surveyor told me that the geocoords for the
official vawv terminal point
or in other words
for the point i am now considering true mdvawv
are
in nad83
nlat 39d19m16s80205 x wlong 77d43m10s14059

& when i check these values
by plugging them into a great circle distance calculator
along with the official geocoords of the vawv terminal marker
i get a distance of 79 feet & 6 inches all right
plus decimal places galore
but i dont know how far to trust them

the difference between the surveyors published distance from
the terminal marker to the terminal point
& the computed distance between the surveyors geocoords for
these points
is
it should be reported
slightly more than half an inch
& perhaps as much as 557746 millionths of an inch

but the discrepancy is much more likely due to the limitations of
the great circle distance calculator or to some human error than
to the surveyors art

which is to say
i do trust the above coords
at least down to the third decimal place of the seconds column
or in other words
down to the approximately correct square inch at worst

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak"
<aletheiak@y...> wrote:
> tho all my previous mdvawv tries have sought the low water
line
> as most recently reported in message 12309
> i have been persuaded since message 12419 that low water
is not in
> fact the correct position for mdvawv
>
> rather
> because mdwv & predecessors have stood at the high water
line since
> the original charter to lord baltimore per bus&ss
> & since only mdva was changed to low water by the arbitration
of 1877
> but not mdwv
> true mdvawv must fall at the high water line
> aka the veggie line
>
> & i realize now that this placement is also absolutely confirmed
by
> the official blueprint of the 1998 vawv survey
> originally attached to message 10699 & possibly still up at
gmane
> which shows the vawv terminal point tricoincident with both the
river
> edge & the veggie line
>
> so it very much appears to me that the quest for true mdvawv
can now
> advance to within very close range
>
> specifically
> we already knew from the blueprint
> but just didnt quite realize we knew it til now
> that the horizontal distance from the vawv terminal marker to
true
> mdvawv along a known alignment is 79 feet & 6 inches
> plus a fraction in 6 decimal places
>
> the difficulty in just measuring this exact distance off
> directly from the marker to the legally accepted tripoint position
> is that the ground falls off very roughly 30 feet in the course of
> this precise horizontal distance
> & indeed we dont have anything near such precision on the
altitudes