Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] US--Four Corners
Date: Jul 07, 2004 @ 23:34
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

When I visited the Four Corners in July 1990, I approached from Colorado. As
most of you know, US 160 goes from Colorado across less than one mile of New
Mexico, then enters Arizona. I was surprised that there were no signs
whatsoever to indicate that one was in New Mexico, except for a New Mexico
historical marker where the side road to the monument turns off. To one who
carefully notes such things, the short New Mexico section of US 160 was very
obviously maintained by the Colorado Department of Transportation to Colorado
standards, not those of New Mexico! One assumes that New Mexico pays Colorado
to do this. (I know of a similar arrangement where Oklahoma performs a similar
service for Arkansas.) Of course, the New Mexico segment is totally
disconnected with any other New Mexico highway.

See the Four Corners topo map at http://tinyurl.com/3d5se .

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA