Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Four or five new enclaves?
Date: Jul 02, 2004 @ 04:02
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Bolivia had a seacoast until it and Perú lost the War of the Pacific (1879-1883)
to Chile. The boundaries in that desert region had been poorly defined until
the exploitation of vast guano deposits along the coast in the late 19th
century. In an 1874 treaty, Chile had recognized Bolivian sovereignty to the
coast in exchange for exemption of Chilean guano operations from taxes. When
Bolivia reneged on the tax exemption, Chile went to war. Perú allied itself
with Bolivia, but Bolivia soon caved. Perú continued to fight, but it was no
match for the Chilean military. Chile occupied Lima for two years. In 1883,
Perú ceded the provinces of Tarapacá, Tacna, and Arica to Chile by the Treaty of
Ancón as the price of peace, but with certain conditions on the last two. The
following year, Bolivia similarly ceded its Atacama province (now the Chilean
provinces of Antofagusta and Atacama) to Chile. The Ancón treaty conditions
proved very troublesome. US President Calvin Coolidge arbitrated to no avail in
1925. A new treaty in 1929 gave the Tacna province back to Perú, along with use
of a terminal at the port of Arica. That treaty was fully implemented only in
2000. Bolivia now accesses the sea via a railroad and a pipeline through
Chilean territory practically against the Peruvian boundary and down to the
Chilean port of Arica, but it's now agitating for a sovereign corridor as an
export outlet for its considerable natural gas reserves.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA