Subject: Re: Five Corners, ME times three
Date: Jun 15, 2004 @ 17:29
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman <
mikekaufman79@y...> wrote:
> Traffic nightmare...but looks like fun! Ring of
> rings! :)

fun for sure
& while it may have been for some a nightmare
for me it was a perfect wet dream
since
having once again invoked my guiding principle of
when in doubt sawanabori
i have been literally & figuratively on the lamm
ever since i last reported in from lammth
spontaneously climbing the mekong thalweg like a sex crazed fish in
quest of the nearest neighbor & next of kin tripoint
the virgin cnlamm

for it struck me as slightly strange
& therefore worth pursuing
that our ever popular & photogenic lammth should have for her twin
sister tripoint the veiled wallflower cnlamm
about whom we still havent had a single word
let alone a picture

so as i climbed the falling stream toward my approximate destination
past an unseen mong hkan
the last village of myanmar
http://www.theboatlanding.laopdr.com/nlaosmap.html
& then past an also unseen sop la
the last village of laos
http://www.theboatlanding.laopdr.com/images/mstrekmap1.gif
i scoured ibs numbers 33 & 34 & 42 for any particulars of the
trijunction configuration looming just ahead

& indeed the fix was in all right
but it turns out the tripoint is kind of funky

i mean
the lamm & the cnmm convergents are both demarcated by the mekong
thalweg all right

that part is easy

but the cnla convergent comes down to the bank along a low watershed
divide

moreover this entire border is quite sparsely monumented

& while i may have hoped to be able to discern thru the jungle on the
bluff a ridge line descending to the river
&or a cnla terminal marker if any on the bank
all this was so far from a sure thing
i can tell you
that before i knew it
i had already overshot the tripoint by 21 km
according to the locals
& was pulling up in the port of guanlei
http://www.dbr.nu/maps/yunnan/ynxb/mengla.htm
the first village of china
http://www.mekong.ne.jp/ippanreport/bishihong/guanlei_port_037.JPG

myanmar is still across the river there but laos had quit long ago

so i quickly did an about face before the border guards sleeping under
the pavilion in the foreground should wake up
& headed back down river toward the tripoint again
hoping to at least miss it somewhat more consciously this time

thats me in the wheelhouse
http://www.tiaratours.nl/gif/mekong-boot.jpg
perhaps at the watershed tripoint location for all i could tell

btw
can anyone read the relevant dutch on this
i mean in case it is relevant
http://www.tiaratours.nl/opium-route.htm
before i do miss it again