Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Gibraltar
Date: Jun 10, 2004 @ 15:03
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike wrote:

> but you will have a hard time selling such fine distinctions in america
> where no such problems exist

While the contortions of the EU as to what and where their various rules do and
do not apply are quite amusing to us Americans, we have our own idiosyncrasies
that defy understanding elsewhere (and sometimes here).

For instance: Guam is an organized but unincorporated territory, while Palmyra
is an unorganized but incorporated Territory. Puerto Rico is a possession, but
neither a territory nor a Territory. It is a Commonwealth, but so is Kentucky,
which it is a state. Persons born in US possessions are US citizens, except
those in American Samoa, who are US nationals, but not US citizens. Goods
brought to the rest of the USA from the Virgin Islands are subject to customs
duties, but not those from Puerto Rico. The CIA and State Department claim that
the Republic of Palau is an independent and sovereign nation, but "in free
association" with the USA. The address of the office of the President (chief of
state and head of government) of that sovereign and independent nation is a post
office box at the United States Post Office, Palau, PW 96940, USA. The US
Postal Service says that "Republic of Palau" is "unacceptable" in the last two
lines of addresses.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA