Subject: Soviet enclaves
Date: Jun 10, 2004 @ 01:04
Author: Brendan Whyte (Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Peter,
I have seen these too in early editions of Atlas Mira, the Soviet world atlas.
They appear to have disappeared in the 50s. I think there were fairly
frequent redrawings of internal boundaries in the USSR, aided by almost
nonexistent public input/appeals etc. I am waiting for some
Russian-speaking academic do make an atlas of Soviet admin boundaries
1917-1990...

> From: "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>
>Subject: Old intra-soviet enclaves - who knows more?
>
>I have just seen in an old soviet world atlas (1954) some enclaves of
>soviet republics that I didn't know of before, and that I have never
>seen on any other soviet or Russian map. I wonder whether anyone has heard
>of them. It's a pity that I couldn't make any xeroxes or scans
>of the maps...
>The first enclave is an exclave of the Ukrainian SSR in the Moldavian SSR,
>in between the border and the Moldavian village of Michajlovka
>(nowadays spelled Mihailovca), just west of the railway.
>The second one is an exclave of the Karelo-Finnish SSR in the RSFSR
>province of Leningrad, with a village in it called Vasil'evskaja.
>This is in the area between the Onega and Ladoga lakes.
>Does anyone know more about these enclaves?
>
>Peter S.

Brendan Whyte