Subject: Sastavci
Date: Jun 04, 2004 @ 02:01
Author: Brendan Whyte (Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@...>)

>From: "kontikipaul" <contikipaul@...>
>Subject: Re: Sastavci (BH enclave in Serbia)
>
>As a former UN peacekeeper in Sarajevo for 2 years there were hundreds of
>'enclaves' littered around former Yugoslavia. Republika
>Srpska (serb republic) is an ethnic area of BiH that is in contrast to the
>rest of Bosnia (Croat and Muslim federation).
>
> The enclave of Croatia that allows Bosnia to have sea access,
> (Dubrovnik) I thought was the last true, delineated enclave. Parts
>of Kosovo now have Serb enclaves that will be part of Serbia and
>Montenegro sooner or later.

Let me clarify:
an enclave is a part of one country (or other political unit) **totally**
surrounded by another. It is not an 'ethnic enclave', nor a part of one
country surrounded by more than one other country, or a coastal fragment.
Certainly the enclave of Sastavci is not mentioned by Catudal because
a) the border in question was internal, not international, until c.1990, and
b) Sastavci doesn't appear to have existed as an enclave until 1990 at any
level. I have Yugoslav maps from the 1940s to 1970s that show Sastavci as
and integral and connected part of BH.

Thus most of what you describe as 'enclaves' are not in fact such because
they are not political units, they have a coast (ie Dubrovnik), or more
than one neighbour, etc. They might be popularly termed so in the press,
but I am using the word enclave in the technical geographical sense.

Several recent maps now show Sastavci as a disconnected part of BH embedded
in Serbia, ie the Serbians have somehow, somewhen acquired the land between
Sastavci and the rest of BH, thus enclaving it. The border is not shown as
in dispute, claimed etc, but as a distinct line. The question of the
ethnicity of the inhabitants (and whether this differed between pre 1990 &
currently) is a completely separate issue.

My question is on what basis are these maps showing this boundary: has
there been some interim/final agreement that has established the enclave?
If so, what/when (and then why) are these?
and does the enclave currently still exist, given previous talk of a land
exchange.