Subject: Re: machias seal island
Date: Jun 04, 2004 @ 00:28
Author: kontikipaul ("kontikipaul" <contikipaul@...>)

-Well researched Raedwulf16

Machias Seal Island falls into a rare conflict between Canada and
the USA. Canada has a part time manned lighthouse on the island and
with no true year round residents from either country it hasn't
fallen into any real disputes. As a sanctuary for birds mainly it
has been forgotten. Incredibly it is easier for Canadians and the
rest of the world to visit Machias Seal Island than it is to visit
the year round inhabited Sable Island about 100 miles off of Nova
Scotia because of the NIMBY quasi-scientists who inhabit Sable and
want to 'protect it; from people.

-- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "raedwulf16" <raedwulf16@y...>

http://www.mainebirding.net/puffin/norton/msi_patch.jpg

http://www.surfbirds.com/media/Photos/sbflight.jpg

http://www.siue.edu/GEOGRAPHY/ONLINE/Schmidt.htm
> http://robert.carceller.free.fr/lum20/phare/machias.jpeg
> REMOTE, fascinating Machias Seal Island lies 10 miles southeast of
> Cutler and almost equidistant from Grand Manan Island to the
> northeast. The island is tiny, a mere 15-acre speck on the chart,
> but both the United States and Canada claim it as theirs, and they
> have disputed it for more than a century and a half.
> COPYRIGHT 2002 DIAMOND PASS PUBLISHING
> It is hard to imagine why the sovereignty of this scrap of land is
> in contention, but it is, and the outcome probably will be decided
> at the International Court of Justice in The Hague several
thousand
> miles to the east. If it was simply a question of which flag
should
> fly at the lighthouse, if would be fairly ludicrous, but nowadays,
> with the 200-mile limit and fishing rights at stake, the issues
are
> more serious.
> COPYRIGHT 2002 DIAMOND PASS PUBLISHING
> Apparently, American sovereignty of the island was confirmed in
both
> the 1783 Treaty of Paris and in the Treaty of Ghent, which ended
the
> War of 1812*. But by the time of the Civil War, it was in dispute
> again. The American known as "Tall Barney" claimed Machias Seal
and
> the surrounding waters in 1865 and single-handedly defended them
> against a landing of Canadian officers in the spring of that year.
> But Canadian merchants from Saint John with shipping interests had
> already established a lighthouse here in 1832, and eventually the
> lighthouse was taken over by the Canadian government. They now
claim
> that the operation of the lighthouse established "effective
> territorial occupation." See below for the latest in this dispute.
> IF YOU ARE READING THIS, YOU HAVE VIOLATED
>

> What is not in dispute is who the island really belongs to—the
> seabirds. As noted in the Canadian Sailing Directions, "Machias
Seal
> Island is home to five species of breeding seabirds: puffins,
> razorbills, petrels, arctic and common terns. It is one of the
> largest known colonies of arctic terns on the east coast of North
> America and the largest razorbill and puffin colony south of
> Newfoundland." If you want to see the spectacular bird population,
> come early in the summer, because they will have migrated by mid-
> August.
> INTERNATIONAL COPYRIGHT LAW.
> For years several commercial operators have made runs to Machias
> Seal from mainland ports. Andy Patterson sails out of Cutler (259-
> 4484), Captain Butch Huntley operates out of Lubec (733-5584), and
> Preston Wilcox operates out of Seal Cove on Grand Manan Island
(506-
> 662-8296). The Maine Audubon Society also sponsors occasional
trips.
> PLEASE RESPECT AND SUPPORT THE WORK THAT HAS
> Perhaps the best known skipper is Captain Barna Norton who
operates
> out of Jonesport (497-5933). Captain Norton has long been a
champion
> of American ownership of the island and can even trace his
ownership
> of the island to his great-grandfather, Barna Beal, none other
than
> the one they called "Tall Barney." Once when Captain Norton rowed
> ashore brandishing the stars and stripes, a Royal Canadian Mounted
> Police helicopter swooped down and buzzed the island in
retaliation.