Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] campobello
Date: May 25, 2004 @ 20:02
Author: chris schulz ("chris schulz" <23568@...>)

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.86056&lon=-66.98472

regards, chris

----- Original Message -----
From: raedwulf16
To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 7:40 PM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] campobello

Border hassles create gulf between stranded Canadian island and
United States

Mon May 24, 3:14 PM ET

CHRIS MORRIS

CAMPOBELLO ISLAND, N.B. (CP) - New Brunswick's Campobello Island is
separated from the state of Maine by a narrow strip of water, but
border hassles are creating a growing gulf of irritation and anger
between the international neighbours.

The roughly 1,500 people who live on the picturesque island in the
Bay of Fundy are proud Canadians, but they are cut off from the rest
of Canada by the United States and a border that is steadily
tightening to the point of strangulation.

"We're isolated," says resident Holly Chute, as she headed into the
Campobello Co-Op, the island's only grocery store.

"And we're vulnerable. If there's another attack in the U.S.,
something like 9-11, and they shut down the border, we're stuck."

From September to July, the only way on and off the island is via
the international bridge to Lubec, Me. Each crossing requires a
border stop, and Islanders complain that U.S. customs agents are
making life difficult.

"It's like you're interrogated every time you cross," says Chute.

Adds one of her friends standing nearby, "I mean, it's not like
we're from Iran or anything."

During the summer, a private ferry connects Campobello to nearby
Deer Island and mainland New Brunswick, but there is no ferry
service the rest of the year.

Eric Allaby, the Opposition Liberal member who represents the island
in the New Brunswick legislature, says Campobello Island is a
classic example of a "stranded community," one of several in North
America now feeling the effects of the war on terrorism, food scares
and heightened border security.

"The real difficulty arises with shipments of groceries under the
bioterrorism act," he says.

"There are also concerns over getting prescription drugs to the
island. There are a number of concerns relating to different
commodities."

Allaby says discussions are under way with the private ferry
operator to see if ferry service can be offered on a year-round
basis to the people of Campobello.

He says it would provide a reliable link between the island and the
rest of Canada, without requiring the headaches and hassles of U.S.
border crossings.

"As the border tightens, it may be necessary to have the back-up
option of carrying truckloads of groceries to Campobello by ferry."

Willa Smart, assistant manager at the Co-op, says the store has
already experienced shortages in a number of items, especially
products made with beef and beef by-products.

The mad cow scare has shut down the Canada-U.S. border to the
movement of most beef products.

"We can't even get a can of beef soup across," says Smart.

Islanders still recall the recent spectacle of one of their
residents trapped on the international bridge with a bag of dog
food, which was labelled chicken but might have had some beef in it.

Canadian and U.S. border guards kept sending him back and forth
across the bridge, both sides refusing to let him enter either
country.

He was on the verge of throwing the dog food off the bridge, when an
arrangement was finally made in Lubec to return the food to where it
was purchased.

"It's ridiculous," says Smart. "You never know from one day to the
next what they're going to let through."

Paul Cellucci, the U.S. ambassador to Canada, says the two countries
are trying to smooth out the hassles.

"It's like everything else. The rules are established and look
reasonable until you apply them to a place like a Canadian enclave,"
he says of Campobello.

"Then you have to find a different way to do it, because it doesn't
make sense."

Although Campobello Island is Canadian territory, it is a U.S.
tourism icon.

It is the location of the former stately summer home of late U.S.
president, Franklin D. Roosevelt. In 1960, a famous movie call
Sunrise at Campobello was made about Roosevelt and his fight against
polio. It starred Ralph Bellamy, Greer Garson and Hume Cronyn.

The home is open to tours in the summer.

Some islanders have speculated openly whether life would not be a
whole lot easier if the island became part of the United States.

But Island resident Glenn Alexander says that although life would be
easier, islanders want to remain Canadian.

"I'm sure if you took a poll, you would find that easily 97 per cent
of islanders want to be Canadian and wouldn't even consider joining
the United States," says Alexander.