Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: BP known Iraq?-- it's called a JOKE
Date: May 19, 2004 @ 18:09
Author: John J. Kelly ("John J. Kelly" <johnkelly@...>)

For the computer literate:

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/

Church Sign Generator

How did you do that?
Good question. First, I took one of the signs from my church signs page
and pulled into Photoshop, and erased all the existing letters,
resulting in a blank sign. Then I looked at PHP's image functions, and
tried superimposing some text on the sign. It turns out that the results
are not satisfactory; letters look distorted, and anti-aliasing doesn't
look right - it didn't look bad, but I wanted results that were at least
close to looking like real letters on a real sign. So I got into
Photoshop again and experimented with text until I got something that
looked decently realistic against the blank sign (turns out that plain
old Arial Narrow Bold looked best). I used that to make another image
with just the letters. The script that builds the sign then loads the
base sign image and the characters image, and then parses the user input
for each letter, picking the letters out of the characters image and
copying them into the base sign image, and spits it out to the browser.
Here's the source code.