Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] dk2
Date: May 01, 2004 @ 14:15
Author: Jesper Nielsen ("Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)

Kevin,

No, people don't identify themselves at all with counties or municipalities.

When asking strangers where they are from I have never heard anybody say they are from a particulary administrative division. If the have to more specific they would say it's near to a town or city, or perhaps non-administrative areas like Vendsyssel, Nordsjælland etc.

An exception would be Sønderjylland or North Schleswig, as they were under German rule from 1864-1920. So there are a lot of historic emotions connected to the place. But since 1970 the Sønderjylland boundary does not entirely follow the former international border. The people of Sønderjylland also have a strong dialect that is hard for many to understand.

Another exception could also be the enclaved municipality/county of Frederiksberg placed entirely inside Copenhagen. Many Frederiksberg citizens would say they do not live in Copenhagen, but in Frederiksberg. That makes them somehow feel important. I did the same when I was staying there even if I am born and raised far from there, in Viborg county.

But still I think it comes down to the fact that names of these counties are the same as the areas themselves just like the island counties Fyn and Bornholm.

The name Sønderjylland even excisted before it was made into county, and will excists long after the county will be gone.

Jesper