Subject: Re: Marker on Ellicott's line
Date: Apr 19, 2004 @ 15:15
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

nice new find jack
& i have surely blown right past there many times
& must have missed it narrowly during my earliest mound tries
in this area circa 1998
as well as last year again when i was looking for the ghost of
oktahatko very close by

& just to pile up all our ellicott mound discoveries in one place
for the benefit of future seekers
my own findings in this area as reported in real time are mainly
buried in messages 8454 8868 8899 8902 8916 9171 9185 &
9607

plus there was a report of the terminal mound
supposedly almost in sight of alflga
which i have however also sought & missed

plus there is the ellicott mound on flga
in the okeefenokee swamp
called ellicotts mound in that case
& which i have also tried & missed

nowadays
ellicott mound
gets about 44 hits on google
but it wasnt always that way

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Parsell"
<jparsell@t...> wrote:
> Michael, is this one of the spots you visited when you were
down there?

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=3430510.00001904
&e=651996.00000339&datum=nad83&u=6

> Southern Boundary of the United States, 1795-1819
> Location: Located on Highway 231 at Ellicott's Crossing.
> Marker Dedication or Erection Date: October 27, 1995
> Marker Text:
> On October 27, 1795, the United States concluded the
Treaty of San Lorenzo with Spain, establishing 31 north latitude
as the boundary between its southern territory and West Florida.
Despite Spanish delays, commissions representing the two
countries began the eastward survey at the Mississippi River.
They passed this point in August 1799, and continued to the
Chattahoochee River. They later abandoned the boundary survey
east of the river due to persistent Indian attacks. The 381 mile
survey became known as Ellicott's line in reference to Andrew
Ellicott, surveyor for the U.S. commission.
> Erected by the Houston County Commission, Dothan
Landmarks Foundation, and the Historic Chattahoochee
Commission, 1995.