Subject: Re: worlds oldest living thing improvement try afoot
Date: Apr 10, 2004 @ 23:24
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

the friend i mentioned at the beginning & bottom of this thread
dropped by again at cream hill today on his return from visiting
the worlds supposedly oldest living thing
aka king clone the creosote bush

& tho his interest is purely scientific rather than extremist fanatic
& tho he didnt really try very hard to find an older individual bush
i did manage to squeeze from him the considered opinion that
the oldest individual creosote bushes will for various reasons
most likely be found at higher elevations than this one

& of course my eyes lit up to realize that the oldest living thing on
earth had thus indeed not yet even been earnestly sought for
let alone found by anyone
but that it might yet be found with the right aerial photography etc

however
he just as quickly dashed any such prospective dream quest by
pointing out that science is beginning to realize the earth is full of
clonally regenerative species
& that as soon as anyone found the oldest living creosote bush
someone else would surely come along to beat this record with
perhaps the oldest living popple swamp
& then maybe someone else with the oldest living fungal ring
etc etc
ad infinitum he supposed
yet with all such ages rather accurately estimatable or calculable
by various reliable chronometrics

& i nearly swooned to imagine the delicious complexity &
endlessness of so realistic yet silly a quest to stretch the limits
of the very illusions of individuation & temporality

indeed it seems there might be enough stretching there to last
everyone for lifetimes

but for now i figure this revelation is fitting enough just as home
stretch & buildup to the main event
the still imminent fedex arrival here of the ends of the earth
which however are still moving only at the speed of the 3rd world

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> right
> well done again
>

> so maybe the best puzzle or trivia question that could be
whittled

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=3808945&e=527146&dat