Subject: Re: Old tripoint, now in Poland
Date: Mar 23, 2004 @ 18:48
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thats exciting petter

you seem to be indicating it might be possible to recite the long
chronological list of the turns of fortune of this particular tripoint
upon the world class tripoint stage over several or even many
centuries

it might even be a leading candidate for longest &or most
checkered working career

but for starters
do you know if it is still a working tripoint marker on any level

& of course anything further to structure or join the chase

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Petter Brabec
<pete2784west@y...> wrote:
> I think, this photo is taken from North, that is from the Prussian
side. To the left on the wall, there is a Lithuainian "white knight"
coat-of-arms, to the right, there is the Polish "eagle"
coat-of-arms. Here probably begins the historical border
between Poland and Lithuania, though at the time of 1545, both
states constituted a partial political union.
> This place has been a functional tripoint for ages, both before
and after 1545. I guess about 500 years all together. In the late
18th century, when Poland began to disintegrate and Lithuania
has been torn apart, this tripoint lost its original meaning and it
continued so until the present day. Now, it 's a part of a single
unit territory.

> Petter
>
> Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> A picture of an old tripoint marker in Poland, near the villages of
> Prostki and Bogusze (SE of E3k):
> http://www.castlesofpoland.com/prusy/elkdzis_po030.htm .
Acc. to the
> Google cache of www.biebrza.org.pl/pol/kult/hist.html , this is
an
> old tripoint marker (placed in 1545) on the tripoint of Mazovia
> (Poland), Prussia, and Lithuania. It served as a boundary
marker on
> the border between Poland-Lithuania, later Poland, and
Prussia, later
> Germany, until 1939 (excluding a certain period of course
when there