Subject: Re: a funny thing keeps happening on the way to menhus
Date: Mar 19, 2004 @ 14:03
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

yikes

who
might be right to call what who
was calling what
a what

hahahaha

& i cant recall the last time time you used the word
delimitation

not in this thread til now unless i missed it

the word
delimit
you used as recently as
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/13487
tho my collegiate dictionary is silent about your evident meaning
there
of
depict or show

perhaps an unabridged oed would support your sense there tho
on historic nontechnical grounds

& it may be pertinent here even if not a bulls eye

but if i understand you anyway in the present case
which of course i cant presume but only hope i might
since i do seem to follow & agree with much of what you are
saying here
hahaha
then i agree the scenario you are presenting is
a possibility

however
the great majority of compacts & judgments regarding riverine
state lines have not
to the best of my knowledge
gone that route

even the delimitation of orwa is just a series of verbal geodesics
without demarcation except on bridges & dams

& i think only azca & nmtx might actually fit your garden variety
model of delimitation
cum demarcation

but you may have dropped your earlier idea of
demarcation next
in favor of
exact delineation aka redelineation aka delimitation next

which i agree makes more sense

& i thought congress must consent
whether in advance or by subsequent ratification
whenever states fix their common boundary
regardless of how that fix might be made

perhaps you can give another example tho
of what you mean here by
we have lots of boundaries etc

lots of international river boundaries certainly

& lots of rationalized ridge lines certainly

etc etc

but so far
only the 2 or 3 riverine state lines mentioned above

all involving wild & fickle western watercourses

& seemingly nothing at all like we have here at menh

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> You might be right to call what I was calling a "delimitation" a
"refinement of
> the King's vague delineation" instead. Regardless of what one
calls it, I was
> thinking of surveyors going out and measuring either the
widths of the channels
> or sounding their depths and declaring where exactly is the
"Middle of the
> River" by whatever definition of "Middle" upon which the parties
might agree.
> This would be a garden-variety boundary survey of the existing
legal
> delineation, and would be binding if accepted by each state.
No compact would
> be necessary, nor any ratification by the Congress or the
courts. We have lots
> of boundaries that were established just that way--even some
that depart
> considerably from their delineations. By "delimitation" I meant
the location of
> the boundary on the surface of the harbor, whether any buoys
or on-shore witness
> rocks were installed or not.
>
> We already know what the Supremes would decree if the
question of the lateral
> boundary stitch beyond the breakwater and to the 3nm limit
were ever to come
> before them, because they've already told us. It is their policy
to apply
> Geneva principles to such matters. With your navigational
chart you can do that
> every bit as supremely as they can--and I know that you'll enjoy
it more! The
> only thing that might belie such a determination would be if the
two states beat
> the Supremes to deciding the matter and settled on extending
the last bearing or
> some such thing as that.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

compact at
> > NJNY. My
> > > analogy was based on New York's reliance on federal
> > bureaucratic indifference
> > > and the doctrine of presecrption/acquiescence in its quest
for
> > the Ellis Island
> > > extensions.

> > there
> > been

> > delineation
> > >
> > > I think that they have a delineation already in the form of
> > George II's "Middle
> > > of the River."
> >
> > yes but i would stress the indefiniteness of this delineation
> > for it is just a vaguely worded description
> > & highly subject to various interpretations in its present form
> > & thus not at all a precise geographic delineation yet
> >
> > & we are familiar with this particular phrase
> > the middle of the river
> > as a classic recipe for difference & dispute wherever islands
are
> > involved
> >
> > but i doubt demarcation is necessarily the next step
> > or need be any step at all
> > in resolving this particular dispute
> >
> > of course direct &or indirect riverine demarcation are always
> > options
> >
> > but apart from occasional individual terminal & witness rocks
etc
> > we have seen these options used very sparingly within the
usa
> > in sharp contrast with their use on international boundaries
> >
> > in fact only 3 cases come to mind
> > azca nmtx & orwa
> >
> > & i also think it is too late for simple allocation of the islands
> > which might have been fine for the 17th or 18th centuries
> > but an exact state line is what is needed now & what should
> > emerge somehow
> >
> > so i believe the next step needs rather to be a refinement in
the
> > definition of the delineation
> > or what you may also be calling redelineation here below
> > whether done by the states or the supremes
> >
> > for i am not sure which way nor how this will proceed from
here

> > but we do know that the court decision expected later this
month
> > is expected to be appealed either way
> > & thus to set something further into motion soon
> >
> > if the dispute gets resolved by an interstate compact
> > rather than a supreme court decision
> > then i agree that would give us the far better hope of a
> > comprehensive settlement & thus of an early menhus
> >
> > but i also agree a compact is far less likely than a supreme
court
> > test
> >
> > so that probably leads me back to doing menhus myself
> > with the navigational chart
> > which would probably be more fun anyway
> >
> > end of insertions
> >

> > What lacks is any demarcation. Of course, an interstate
compact
> > > ratified by the Congress could redelineate or even
reallocate.
> > The two states
> > > themselves could demarcate and ratify a survey based on
the
> > existing delineation
> > > without asking anybody, but that would take two willing
states.
> > More likely,
> > > the Supremes would order a demarcation based on either
> > special master's
> > > findings or a consent decree (as was the case in the
> > incomplete lateral boundary
> > > a few years ago). Right now, though, the case is not even
into
> > federal courts.
> > >
> > > Mr. Bourre is a resident of New Hampshire who disputes
> > Maine's right to tax his
> > > former paycheck at the naval base. As I understand it,
Maine
> > has its own
> > > administrative tax judgement against him, but he has no
Maine
> > assets to be
> > > seized. Therefore, Maine is pursuing him in New
Hampshire
> > courts to get the
> > > judgement enforced. If that doesn't happen, because New
> > Hampshire law prohibits
> > > its courts from enforcing any other state's taxes at the naval
> > base, then Maine
> > > would have to sue New Hampshire in the federal courts
asking
> > for its rights
> > > under the "full faith and credit" clause of Article IV. The
> > Supreme Court would
> > > have original jurisdiction. If that is the question, Maine will
win.
> > If New
> > > Hampshire were to assert, in its response to the suit, that
> > Seavey Island is not
> > > in Maine, only then would the boundary through the harbor
> > become an issue before
> > > the Supremes.

> > menhus

> > even

> > > I agree. The Supremes' policy is not to decide issues that
are
> > not before them.
> > > There is no way that the question of the boundary beyond
the
> > breakwater would be
> > > reached by a suit brought to enforce Maine income taxes
on Mr.
> > Bourre and the
> > > 1,800 other New Hampshire residents similarly situated.
The
> > only hope for
> > > getting a firm MENHUS out of this case would be if the
> > prospect of an adverse
> > > ruling would stampede New Hampshire into consenting to
> > preemptive joint
> > > demarcation that might include both of the boundary
segments

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=42.971&lon=-70.605

> > or

> > here