Subject: Re: where & how far are the farthest places continued
Date: Mar 14, 2004 @ 22:57
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

of course i couldnt wait til tomorrow to order the topos
but managed to do so online already today
i think
despite some anomalies at the suppliers website

in fact i was so excited i even muffed the sumatra quad on my
first order try
so i had to email a correction besides

what helped me finally get to the right quad was this usgs page
http://pubs.usgs.gov/prof/p1386i/ecuador/intro.html
which not only reconfirmed the official summit elevation but more
importantly corrected the unofficial peakware summit coords that
i had been using temporarily
from nlat 00d02m to 00d01m
& from wlong 77d58m to 77d59m

& this slight correction triggered a further advance in precision

for it matched so well with the apparent summit point on the topo
we have been using temporarily
http://www.igepn.edu.ec/varios/productos/Cayambe.gif
& also fit my earlier guess of 5 minute squares upon this map
that it led me to refine the most probable coordinates further
myself by an exact direct measurement of them on my video
screen

so we now have for our working guesses
nlat 00d00m38s5 x wlong 77d58m53s4
& antipodally
slat 00d00m38s5 x elong 102d01m06s6
all with perhaps a digit or 2 of spurious accuracy

meaning we may already be down to within about 10 horizontal
meters of the truth
to dovetail with our roughly 10 meter vertical window now too
hopefully

but please stand by for more & better

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> ok so i will move forward tomorrow by phoning a major map
> supply house in north carolina
> where i could get lucky enough to acquire both the correct
> ecuadorean topo & the correct sumatran topo overnite
>
> it will probably just depend on how attentive & helpful their staff
> are able to be over the phone
>
> for i am fairly satisfied now that all the maths do indeed point to
> cayambe rather than cotopaxi or chimborazo
>
> so i ought to be able to communicate flat out which maps i
want

> & they ought to have them both in stock & ought to be able to
> verify that the requirements & coordinates match before
shipping

> therefore the most major remaining gap in my understanding
&
> process now is the extended question of
> whether truth will require that we detect & account for any
> differential between the spheroid & the geoid
> which we know could amount to as much as 100 meters in
> places
>
> & if so then exactly how would we do all that
>
> admittedly this inquiry would most likely only affect the how far
&
> not the where of our quest
> so the question may be out of order at this time
>
> but can anyone answer it anyway
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
> <orc@o...> wrote:
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G.
McManus"
> > <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > > I do agree that "The Ends of the Earth" is a completely
> > appropriate name for
> > > these special places, since no other two points on the
planet
> > are farther apart.
> > >
> > > Now, Mike, I want to remember your current state of
> excitement
> > and pleasure the
> > > next time someone else happens to stray from strictly
> > tripoint-related material
> > > in these discussions. :-)
> >
> > hahahaha
> > thank you thank you
> > & dont you think the freakin ends of the earth are real enough
> as
> > both boundary points & extremities to fairly command
attention

http://www.futureforests.com/uploadedimages/heart_marsh1.gif

> > > Lowell G. McManus
> > > Leesville, Louisiana, USA