Subject: Re: Asia-Europe
Date: Mar 09, 2004 @ 19:13
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> The distinction is rather artificial.

yes & of course we have been here many times before too
over the years
in endless variety
& yet never from a sufficiently multiple perspective to actually
deserve & fully warrant discussion here at bp
as you may also imagine
since our only express warrant is our multipointing

all other artifice & all slobberiness to the contrary
notwithstanding

which is why i was just trying to breathe some new life
& indeed some multipointing relevancy at last
into all this conventional & predictable continent nonsense
of which we have just been treated to yet another dosage
by several members who nevertheless still find it fascinating
enough to continue to bring to our attention

& the exact & particular context of my offering in this regard
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/13480
i reiterate not only because i find it so challenging & exciting to
finally bring all these patently untrue & artificial & bogus
discussions to an actual moment of bp truth
yesss
but also because even while going out of your way to reject this
suggestion
& even while using it as the final destination of your homily
you have also chanced or seen fit to omit it

more below

> The National Geographic Society delimits
> the continents on its Europe and Asia whole-continent political
maps with this
> explanation: "A commonly accepted division between Asia and
Europe is formed by
> the Ural Mountains, Ural River, Caspian Sea, Caucasus
Mountains, and the Black
> Sea with its outlets, the Bosporus and Dardanelles, here
marked by green line."

> Any continental demarcations on the landscape are
geographically and
> touritsically interesting but officially insignificant roadside
baubles, rather
> akin to the Mexican monuments on the Tropic of Cancer.

which however at least have the virtue of presenting an objective
& significant truth

> We usually think of Russia and Turkey as the nations that lie in
both Europe and
> Asia. However, (using the NGS's green line) we find that
Kazakhstan,
> Azerbaijan, and Georgia are similarly bicontinental. It's hard to
think of Baku
> as a European city, but it is!

not to mention thinking of france as both europe & south america
at the very least
etc
etc

> I've always rankled at the notion of assigning islands or parts
of the sea to
> one "continent" or another.

well relax because the jerks are doing it all the time
& they dont appear to be about to stop anytime soon

> Neither the NGS nor I assign any of the Turkish
> islands in the Sea of Marmara or the Greek or Turkish islands
in the Aegean Sea
> to either continent. Therefore, I would do not include Greece
among
> bicontinental nations, despite the presence of many Greek
islands in the eastern
> side of the Aegean Sea. The Greek Island of Sámos lies
within three miles of
> Asia, but it is neither Europe nor Asia. It is Sámos! That is
what it means to
> be an island.

but what was the difference between a continent & an island
again

aw never mind

indeed i am running the other way for all i am worth
just to salvage what remains of my sanity
hahaha
just kidding of course

you probably dont recall message 2456
a continental high water point not subsequently reached imo
nor does anyone probably recall my exhaustive objective
analysis in message 413
of the worlds 104 largest continents
& of which countries own them
& particularly of which country owns the most of them

hint
as the number of continents rises to 8 & then 16 & 32 & 64 etc
australia is soon overtaken by indonesia
but both are finally overwhelmed by a third country
which shall remain nameless so as not to spoil the fun of
guessing which country is objectively the most multicontinental
in the world

> I would similarly reject the suggestion of a tricontinental
Africa-Asia-Europe
> tripoint somewhere in the Mediterranean Sea.

of course you would
& so would anyone else with any sense

which is precisely why i suggested it
as you can see again in my comments linked above
namely
to give the continent jerks a real bp ride for all their trouble
or the best ride we can manage to give them anyway

& the value in it for us is
since we are being so ridiculous & artificial & bogus & untrue as
to even continuing to think about this topic
the value for us is to redeem it & ourselves by actually finding
something that the jerks would recognize as a multipoint
even if we ourselves dont

> Continents stop where the sea
> begins. Such a wet tricontinental tripoint would be as bizarre
as a dry
> Atlantic-Indian-Mediterranean tripoint in the middle of Africa!

hahahahaha
good one but not quite
since you are the first rather than the last to have suggested it
but by all means take it up another notch there if you can
& i will congratulate & egg you on

for as you can see here in living purple
http://www.maritimeboundaries.com
there is at least a theoretical cyegil equidistance eez tripoint
already today
where a soon to be if not already european cypus will indeed
meet a permanently asiatic israel & a mostly if not fully african
egypt
by all the silly rules & bogus perceptions we all find so amusing
& hard to swallow anyway

but i say thats exactly why we should feed it back with a perfectly
straight face to wherever it is coming from

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

http://www.wbur.org/special/dispatches/russiabikeride/photogall
ery/week11/images/11.jpg