Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: caprivi strip - Yes Zimbabwe touches Caprivi
Date: Mar 06, 2004 @ 18:47
Author: Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Ernst Stavro Blofeld <blofeld_es@...>)

--- "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...> wrote:
> I just received this input from Namibia today:
> "Namibia is meeting
> Zimbabwe only at a point at the confluence of the
> Zambezi and Chobe
> rivers. This is, to my knowledge, the only point in
> the world
> (quadruple point) where four countries meet at one
> point (Namibia,
> Zimbabwe, Botswana and Zambia)."

I do not concur.

In my view there is overwhelming statistical
circumstantial evidence that the four countries do not
meet at one point.

Please see the Caprivi-documents that were posted here
just the other day.

My argument is as follows: The existance of a
quadripoint requires that the thalweg of the Zambezi
river, the median line of the river and the projection
of the Hunter's Road out into the river coincide. This
is most unlikely (but of course not impossible),
especially since it seems that a quadripoint was not
intended at the time the borders were defined.

On the other hand, a recent boundary comission, of
which we are not aware, may have instigated a renewed
demarcation and thus created a quadripoint.

What is your view on the matter?