Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Three parish monument
Date: Feb 11, 2004 @ 15:52
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

Mike,

>so is anyone aware of any interest in multipointing in the uk
>be it actual or ghostly on any level

There are people interested in tracing county boundaries (see
http://www.alanheaton.co.uk/ and
http://www.bradfordhistorical.fsnet.co.uk/antiquary/third/vol04/boundary.html#watersheddles),
and indeed some parishes even continue to hold 'Beating of the Bounds'
ceremonies each year
(http://www.lynsted-society.co.uk/html/beating_the_bounds.html).
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any dedicated multipointing tries, although
that doesn't necessary mean they don't exist.

In any case, boundaries in the UK are normally described with reference to
surrounding features rather being than physically delineated. You
occasionally see old county and parish boundary stones dotted around the
place, but I don't believe these are officially maintained (or even
relevant) any longer. AFAIK, district, borough and city boundaries are
almost never (if ever) physically marked. You have to rely on Ordnance
Survey maps to identify them, which only provide a close approximation of
the line.

>& are there any known megapoints

The lack of regularly-shaped divisions would appear to minimise the
possibilities, but there might be a county quadpoint where Lincolnshire,
Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire (Peterborough) and Rutland meet. I'll have
to get a bigger map to verify this.

Regards,

Kebin Meynell