Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Important notice conc. GCEBE !
Date: Jan 14, 2001 @ 23:12
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

Some comments from someone who wants to come, but probably won't have the $
to do so...

- How long is the drove fomr Copenhagen to Czech... seems a LONG way.
Can you give an estimate of distances (and or driving times) each day, and a
total distance? I did a 6000km trip over Christmas (12 days), so i wouldl
ike to compare time-in-the-car with that .

Berlin is worht a little time: Checkpoint Charlie, Steinstucken, Russian War
memorial and assorted ex-enclaves.

Ditto Busingen/Verenahof would be worhtwhile visiting, along with Konstanz
possibly.

While the Monschau area is pretty (it's a lovely town, and the youth hostel
is the old castle overlooking the town set in a steep valley), the enclaves
are invisible in the cultutral landscape.
The most interesting thing is the Belgian part of roetgen town, where the
border runs down the middle of the street and the Belgian side is lined with
shops selling chocolate, coffee, tobacco and alcohol which are taxed less
there.
The most enclave-interesting way to visit the area would be to ride the Venn
Bahn along the rail line enclavement itself. With a car one person could
follow the train to meet it and pick the others up, making transport to/from
the start and end points easy.

Baarle is by far more interesting, with more to see.

the GeBeNe point is an hour's wlak fomr aachen, not difficult at all. 4-5km.
No need to drive. From the Aachen rail station, I wlaked, but it is possible
to take a bus halfway and walk the final 2-3km fomr there.

I agree that reversing the trip seems good, but given that the most
interesting places (save juingholz) are in the west, visiting them first
means you have plenty of time there and can miss out a laterp oint in the
east if necessary, the other wya leaving Baarle last means if you are
running late, people are tired, etc, you can't so easily drop a point at
that point in time. D'you see?

but then as I am unlikely to be able to get there, those most likely to do
so should decide.
my two cents' worth.

Brendan