Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New Mexico (?)
Date: Jan 14, 2004 @ 03:11
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

The feds never recognized any of the secessions as legitimate. The
"readmissions" that occurred afterward were more like restorations to the
states' "rightful" positions in the Union. Secession never affected Texas's
extraordinary three-league territorial sea, did it?

By the way, the negotiated admission treaty between the USA and the RT wasn't
going anywhere because it would have required two-thirds ratification by the US
Senate, and that wasn't about to happen. For that reason, the proposed treaty
was scrapped, and Texas was admitted (like other states) by joint resolution,
which required a simple majority in each house. That was do-able. This
particular joint resolution imposed upon both Texas and the US certain
conditions not applied to other states. That is the origin of whatever
differences exist.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA