Subject: Re: No Jordanian enclave
Date: Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:56
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)

The status of Mount Scopus between 1948 and 1967 was a source of
considerable controversy and friction. Officially it was a
demilitarised zone under UN administration, the aim of which was to
facilitate the normal functioning of cultural and humanitarian
institutions, including the Hebrew University, Hadassah hospital
(used mainly by Jews) and Augusta Victoria hospital (used mainly by
Arabs). In practice Israeli forces gradually took control of most of
Mount Scopus and Israel has frequently claimed sovereignty over the
area. Personally, I think the legal status of the 'enclave' is far
from clear and it will be very interesting to see how it is
addressed when a final territorial settlement is eventually reached
by Israel and Palestine.

m a r t i n