Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New Mexico(?)
Date: Jan 07, 2004 @ 04:24
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

When Van Zandt is right (almost all of the time), I'm with him. When I
disagree, I say so.

ANY state may subdivide itself into any number of smaller states, IF the state
and the Congress both consent(U.S. Const., Art. 4, Sec. 3). If Texas acquired
no advantage by the unique proviso of the Joint Resolution of Congress of March
1, 1845 (as Van Zandt claims), then why was it included at all? The reasonable
answer is that the Congress was granting its blanket consent for any future
division that Texas might wish to voluntarily undertake (subject only to the
stated limitation as to number of states and the geographic limitation on
slavery). Not only does it say that "New states...may...hereafter...be
formed..." out of Texas, but it also says that such new states "SHALL be
ENTITLED to admission." Doesn't that sound to you like the Congress consenting
to the division of Texas? Van Zandt seems to believe that it could be done only
at the future "recommendation or request" of Congress. If that were true, then
Texas would be denied an option available to all other states (that to seek
Congressional consent for subdivision)!

The whole long (1847-1991) and unsuccessful history of the many proposed
divisions of Texas into assorted new states (with such names as Texas, East
Texas, West Texas, North Texas, South Texas, Central Texas, Old Texas,
Jefferson, Lincoln, and Matagorda) can be found at http://tinyurl.com/3db3z .
So, you see, some of your (perhaps tongue-in-cheek) speculations below are right
on target!

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA