Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New Mexico(?)
Date: Jan 03, 2004 @ 03:06
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

With all due respect, the notion that Texas (or any other state) has a special
right to leave the Union at will is a myth. It is true that Texas was once an
internationally recognized sovereign republic that pre-existed its membership in
the Union. However, other than the implicit theory that any state might
reassume the sovereign rights granted voluntarily by it to the federal
government (which was disproved for all practical purposes by the outcome of the
unpleasantness of 1861-1865), there is no explicit provision in any American
Constitution or statute providing for the right of secession.

Perhaps you are thinking of the unique but real right of Texas to divide itself
into as many as five states of the Union on its own volition without further
action by the Congress. Van Zandt wrongly denies this right in BUS&SS, but he
completely misses the point that the Congress has already given its consent to
the admission of any such states, on March 1, 1845. Of course, the
balkanization of Texas would be total heresy to most modern Texans!

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA