Subject: Re: mxn trip?
Date: Dec 14, 2003 @ 21:53
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

thanx very much for this detailed analysis

computer time scarce in the desert today so i will respond in more
detail tomorrow

but i wanted to report also that i retried chnmtx this morning with
rose
the lady from texas
& was immediately approached by a border guard as soon as i had parked
very cautiously about a mile above the tripoint too

but when i saw he had the drop on me i of course returned pursuit
with a preemptive question

hey buddy where is the monument sight line etc etc
& he said follow me & led me on a high speed chase over the dusty
gravel to the parking area we all know & love
& said watch out dangerous
i said i am just going down to the river
& he said you cant
i said ok
he split
i went down to the tripoint vicinity in the rio where 3 boys were
bathing in knee deep water
& i was preparing to join them when i spotted the border guard
observing me from a distance defying his orders
& since i was responsible for another person
i knew i had to flee again
& made good our escape before he could catch up with me again
for another so near & yet so far class c peeks
& not a better class c than my previous class c either
but i made the try
& with adams 2 others
today we have our first mxus multi multi day
out of time

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> My odd-number thesis is based on the requirements of reality. The
number could
> not be even. I only mentioned once and thrice because higher
quantities would
> become increasingly unlikely, but not impossible.
>
> This is another of those cases where unanticipated geography
confounds the best
> intentions of treaty editors. You'd think that they would learn!
>
> I believe I understand how you think that the first description
compels the line
> to at least attempt to cross the Colorado at the mouth of the Gila,
but I think
> that the second more precise description puts the beginning of the
geodesic in
> the middle of the Gila without regard to the middle or direction of
the
> Colorado. Of course, the geodesic will cross the Colorado at least
once just as
> soon as the geography will allow.
>
> In any case, I will look for some map, legislation, or decree that
will further
> elucidate the situation.
>
> We know that the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo delineated the
boundary in 1848,
> and that the geodesic was demarcated in 1849. At that time, there
were only two
> players, Mexico and the USA. There was not yet any State of
California or New
> Mexico Territory, both of which took existence in 1850.
>
> I agree that the 1850-1853 CAMXNM tripoint (or the western-most of
them if there
> were some odd number greater than one) was essentially identical
with today's
> AZCAMX tripoint.
>
> I will set forth below some reasons why I believe that there was
probably only
> one, which would leave the left bank of the Colorado below the
mouth of the Gila
> as a pene-enclave of NM, joined by half of the width of the
Colorado at the
> mouth of the Gila (the latter entering from the south into a great
loop of the
> former):
>
> The proposed constitution for California was written in 1849 and
used as its
> boundary "...the middle of the channel of the said [Colorado] river
to the
> boundary line between the Unites States and Mexico as established
by the treaty
> of May 30, 1848; thence running west and along said boundary line
to the Pacific
> Ocean..."
>
> If the geodesic MXUS boundary would have crossed the middle of the
Colorado
> multiple times, this description would have included in California
the portion
> of the left bank that is north of the ghost geodesic through
today's northern
> Yuma. If so, then how did California subsequently lose that land?
>
> On September 9, 1850, the same day that the Congress admitted
California with
> these boundaries, it passed legislation providing for the New
Mexico Territory
> and setting its boundaries. Note that this is after the lay of the
land in the
> vicinity of Yuma was known from the previous year's survey of the
geodesic. The
> description begins "at a point in the Colorado River where the
boundary line
> with the Republic of Mexico crosses the same; thence
eastwardly..." After
> circumscribing the entire territory counterclockwise, the
description brings the
> boundary back to the point of beginning by following "the boundary
line of the
> State of California."
>
> Note that this legislation mentions only one point where the MXUS
boundary
> crosses the Colorado River, and that it circumscribes only one body
of land with
> no mention of an enclave north of the geodesic in today's northern
Yuma. If the
> geodesic MXUS had crossed the Colorado thrice creating such an
enclave (or even
> cross-clave), then that clave would not have been part of New
Mexico Territory
> by this description, but we know that it was.
>
> So these are my reasons, but I don't expect anyone to concede other
theories
> until there is some more substantial proof. I will continue to
search for just
> that.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

essentially

<barbaria_longa@h...>
> > wrote:
> > > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"

> > > rivers,

> > > point at "the
> > from
> > > that point
> > > Colorado several

> > and
> > > just touched
> >
> > this is the detail i am asking about
> >
> > why do you believe it stopped or turned there at the south bank
> > rather than continued down the middle of the gila to the middle of
> > the colorado before doing so
> >

> > , not making
> > > tripoint
> > >
> > > why do you say it just touched the south bank
> > >
> > > why didnt it reach the middle of the confluence
> > > & thus form a new mexico crossclave rather than a mere peneclave
> > >
> > > i have a message about this still lost in the ether
> > > in which i considered the possibility that this left bank area
> > might
> > > have belonged to california
> > > or have fallen back to old mexico til 1853
> > >
> > > i am still not sure which of these 3 or 4 probabilities might
> > > actually have obtained
> > > but for starters it would help to know why you rule out a new
> > mexico
> > > border cross at the 1849 midstream confluence
> > >

> > > (as admitted in 1850), which was the
> > that
> > > now skirts
> > > Territory