Subject: Re: The elusive LAMSUS
Date: Dec 11, 2003 @ 01:33
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

wow thanx i needed that
& elusive qeds not once but twice in a single afternoon

you really are to be congratulated & celebrated lowell
& not just for these but for all your punctilious multipointing
research

& if you wouldnt mind hat tricking it by also nailing the elusive
latxus or menhus while you are at it
well that would be absolutely trifecta or beyond

& i have a few other tough research nuts in reserve if you ever
should feel a craving for another

yes you will be well fed & appreciated here

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> After considerable research, I can describe the location of the
LAMSUS tripoint
> between Louisiana, Mississippi, and federal waters.
>
> In their 1985 decision on the historic internal waters status of
the Mississippi
> Sound, the Supremes ordered the Special Master to consult with the
states of
> Mississippi and Alabama and the US to devise the seaward boundary
of those
> states pursuant to their decision. That was accomplished by 1988,
but the
> Master balked at making the stitch between the Mississippi boundary
3nm south of
> the Sound's barrier islands and the already determined boundary of
Louisiana.
> He did so on the grounds that the stitch was unrelated to the
question most
> recently before the court (whether the Mississippi Sound was
internal), and
> therefore beyond the authority of the Court's referral to him. The
Supremes
> agreed, issuing final decree in the Alabama boundary, and in that
of Mississippi
> as far as the Master had gone. However, they granted Mississippi
and the US
> leave to file a separate complaint as to their respective claims
to "any
> undecided portion of Chandeleur Sound." This would result in
getting the stitch
> made.
>
> Pursuant to that leave, Mississippi and the US readily agreed upon
a solution
> and presented it to the Supremes for their approval. This was
granted in the
> decree Mississippi v. U.S. On Bill of Complaint (1990) at 489 US
16. The decree
> says:
> _________________
>
> ..the following line is stipulated by the parties to henceforth
represent and
> permanently mark the line from which Mississippi's Submerged Lands
Act grant is
> measured:
>
> A straight line from a point on the southern shore of the most
westerly segment
> of Ship Island where X = 463004.481 and Y = 196885.896 in the
Mississippi plane
> coordinate system, east zone, and X = 2752646.58 and Y = 568331.88
in the
> Louisiana plane coordinate system, south zone, to a point near the
northern tip
> of the most northerly of the Chandeleur Islands where X = 2775787
and Y = 513796
> in the Louisiana plane coordinate system, south zone, so far as
said line lies
> on the Mississippi side of the Mississippi-Louisiana boundary.
> _________________
>
> The effect of this is to draw a closing line across the northeast
mouth of the
> internal waters of Chandeleur Sound from the nearest point on the
south shore of
> Ship Island south-southeastward to the north point of the
Chandeleur Islands in
> Louisiana, and then give Mississippi 3nm out from that baseline.
>
> This is the same closing line that had been used as the baseline
from which to
> measure Louisiana's 3nm line in the final one of its boundary
decrees.

> Thus, if you will go to the Official Map of Louisiana 2000, at
> http://www.avenza.com/MPcomp/2001/maps/GenPurp_Snead.jpg
> you will find the LAMSUS tripoint at the place where the depicted
Louisiana
> boundary comes to an obtuse angle north of the northern end of
Chandeleur