Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Crossclaves and Peneclaves
Date: Dec 07, 2003 @ 04:03
Author: jparsell ("jparsell" <jparsell@northnet.org>)

I don't blame you.  They are confusing.  A crossclave is a portion of one entity, in this case part of a County
connected to the main body of the County only at a point.  See sttachment Schley-Schley-Taylor-Taylor, GA.
Notice the quarter section of Taylor enclaved in Schley and just touching the main part of Taylor at the quad
point.

A peneclave is where there is still a connection between the two parts with a narrow opening. On the old
NAD27 maps the one in GA looked like #1 Dodge-Telfair-Telfair- Wheeler (see attachment). I didn't save that
in a file but I printed it. It shows the protrusion (peneclave) of Telfair county into Dodge County.  It isn't a quad
point at all, just an interesting bvoundary curiosity.  On image #1 I drew in the Telfair-Wheeler boundary the way it showed on the old map with the red + being the corner. It is less than 1000 ft from this corner to the rt angle corner just to the SW.  Now look at the same map as currently available on NAD83 (#2attachment).
Notice the faint arc boundary marked indefinite separating Telfair and Wheeler Counties up to the red + much farther to the NE.  The gap is now about 1/2 mile which may make calling it a peneclave much less convincing.
I didn't discover this change until you asked about it in your message below.

For a better example of a peneclave check the VT map and look for Windsor County.  The projection in the
upper left corner into Addison County is a good example of a peneclave.  If you want to look at this on Topozone the peneclave is about centered at  43deg 51' 39"N, 72deg 55' 33"W. Again there is no quad point,
just tri-points.  You will need to go to 1:250000 to see the whole peneclave.

I hope this helps you.

Jack