Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Simpler map requiring 5 colors
Date: Dec 06, 2003 @ 23:25
Author: Michael Donner ("Michael Donner" <barbaria_longa@...>)

>From: Eric Choate
>To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Simpler map requiring 5 colors
>Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:44:48 -0800 (PST)
>

>This is a simpler map.  the two yellow squares are the same country and cannot be colored blue, green, or red.  then the white country can't be colored red, blue, green, or yellow.
>

>although, i suppose if one were very picky, an argument could be made that since white is not really a color, this is really still a four color map.

hahaha

you gotta be kidding about that one

hahaha

but now that you have given us the picture

perhaps we could sell you on trying to color in a pre1959 map of antarctica

where 6 or 7 entities meet or met in an elevenfold overlapping border intersection

resembling a pie baked & sliced by a crazy person

that i feel sure would test the limits of anyones ability to color separate & color coordinate in any sensible way no matter how many colors they had

& if you wont go for that

then how about trying the spratly islands of the south china sea today

where 6 countries scramble & overlap claims to what about 100 islands or something all in a very concentrated area

but of course we would be ducking your question either way because the real world is never so neat as the hypothetical

for if you really are asking for maximum available complexity & differentiation

or say the maddest scramble on the planet

then i think it is almost bound to include significant overlap

& i believe overlap may not really be what you really want

but i have a feeling that that is all the real world has to offer in such a case

Browse styles for all ages, from the latest looks to cozy weekend wear at MSN Shopping. And check out the beauty products!