Subject: Many-adjoined county
Date: Nov 20, 2003 @ 01:37
Author: adamnvillani ("adamnvillani" <avillani@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "nj55er" <spookymike@a...>
wrote:
> On a related subject, would anyone like to name the U.S. county that
> borders on the most other U.S. counties? There is a single answer.

Okey-doke; I was in the right part of the country with my first
guess, but I think I've got it: Washoe County, Nevada, home of the
Biggest Little City in the World, Reno, which I visited back in
August.

It borders Lake and Harney Conties in Oregon, Humboldt, Pershing,
Churchill, Lyon, and Storey Counties in Nevada, Carson City in
Nevada, and Placer, Sierra, Nevada, Lassen, and Modoc Counties in
California. Washoe's border with Lyon County is interesting in that
they are on opposite sides of a quadripoint near Carson City, and
then meet up again at a regular border (i.e., one with length) on the
far side of Storey County. So the total is 12 counties and one county-
equivalent (Carson City).

Incidentally, are you guys familiar with Marty O'Brien's county-
counting website? It's here:
http://www.mob-rule.com/counties/

And here's my map of which counties I've visited:
http://www.mob-rule.com/counties/adamvillani-all.gif

Adam