Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Plate Tectonics and Lat/Long boundaries
Date: Nov 15, 2003 @ 18:46
Author: Dave Patton [DCP] ("Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@...>)

> Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:33:51 -0000
> From: "Eric Choate" <choatune@...>
>Subject: Re: Plate Tectonics and Lat/Long boundaries
>
> > Here's an image(30KB) showing the relationship of the border
>monuments,
> > and the border, to 49 degrees north:
> > http://members.shaw.ca/canmapinfo/temp/49thborder.png
>
>Thanks. I like this graph, but what is the scale on the vertical
>axis.

I've replaced it with one that has a vertical scale.

>Also have you determined which side was short-changed? My
>guestimate is that there are more Canadian square kilometers that
>should be American square miles, but how many?

I did my research solely to determine the 'ownership' of the
WGS84 degree confluences along the border, so that we could
properly allocate the confluences for the Degree Confluence Project.

>the monument coordinates are listed at
>http://www.internationalboundarycommission.org/coordinates/M49thp.txt
> and i can calculate the area if you haven't already.

That listing is NAD27. I used this listing:
http://www.internationalboundarycommission.org/coordinates/SECT-M-83.txt
and ignored the difference between NAD83 and WGS84.

>Actually now I think I can answer my first question myself. I
>believe the distance between marker 4 and the 49th parallel is about
>250.2 meters.

My software shows the distance to be 231.7 meters(WGS84).

--
Dave Patton
Canadian Coordinator, the Degree Confluence Project