Subject: Re: Plate Tectonics and Lat/Long boundaries
Date: Nov 15, 2003 @ 07:33
Author: Eric Choate ("Eric Choate" <choatune@...>)

> Here's an image(30KB) showing the relationship of the border
monuments,
> and the border, to 49 degrees north:
> http://members.shaw.ca/canmapinfo/temp/49thborder.png

Thanks. I like this graph, but what is the scale on the vertical
axis. Also have you determined which side was short-changed? My
guestimate is that there are more Canadian square kilometers that
should be American square miles, but how many?

the monument coordinates are listed at
http://www.internationalboundarycommission.org/coordinates/M49thp.txt
and i can calculate the area if you haven't already.

Actually now I think I can answer my first question myself. I
believe the distance between marker 4 and the 49th parallel is about
250.2 meters.

Eric