Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Plate Tectonics and Lat/Long boundaries
Date: Nov 13, 2003 @ 04:16
Author: Doug Murray (Doug Murray <doug@...>)

Welcome Eric!

And...

The US-Canadian border is where it is. In reality, it is not very
accurate. There is a graph of the deviations along the 49th out there
somewhere. But at the end of the day, the Americans and Canadians
agree that the border lies where it was marked. If the border slides
north of the 49th (west of Lake of the Woods), then there is no change
in the actual frontier legally.

They Boundary Commission does use a series of Geodetic points for
boundary marking... though these would move in your scenario as well.

As for your final question: Uh, I dunno!

Barely North of the 49th,

Doug

On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 07:49 PM, Eric Choate wrote:

> Since the continents are adrift on the sea of magma and the Prime
> Meridian goes through Greenwich, the longitude of a place changes as
> time goes by.  Also, the plates can also move north and south, and so
> latitude is also variable.  Yeah, it's slow enough that we probably
> won't notice, but if the Americo-Canadian border is actually the 49th
> parallel, then if North America is moving generally north, is the US
> "conquering" Canadian territory even as I type this?  (I don't
> actually know which direction North America is moving.  Can anyone
> help?)   If we wait long enough, will Cheyenne leave the state that it
> is the capital of?
>
> Or, is the actual border a line on the continent connecting a bunch
> of key points that were determined by what their latitudes and
> longitudes were when a border dispute was settled?
>
> This is my first post as I'm new to the group.   I have a question
> about the shorthand used to indentify boundary corners.  Is it the two
> letter codes used for web addresses in English alphabetical
> order? And on another note, if Croatia's abbriviation HR is derived
> from its name in Croatian, why then is Hungary's HU not derived from
> Magyarorsz·g?
>
> Eric

<image.tiff>

> Do you Yahoo!?