Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Shortest County Border
Date: Nov 06, 2003 @ 04:08
Author: jparsell ("jparsell" <jparsell@northnet.org>)

Mike,

In my research on quad-county points the shortest one I have found is an interstate one.  Brookings and Moody, SD
and Lincoln and Pipestone, MN.  Coming from the east, the county line road in MN curves down slightly to meet its
mate in SD. See attached 1:10000 map. But the boundary doesn't curve down. It continues straight west and hits
SD in Brookings County about 80 ft. north of Moody County. So there is an 80 ft common boundary between Brookings,
SD and Pipestone, MN.  The coordinates are 44deg 11' 49" N,  96deg 27' 10" W. On the map Brookings, SD and
Lincoln, MN are the more northerly counties.

I suspect that some of the intrastate quad-county points may have even closer misses since sometimes one county
has the boundary on one side of the road rather than in the center of the road, and the adjacent county line doesn't
match up.  This is too fine a measurement to detect on Topozone.

Thus far I have identified 172 intrastate county quads, 19 interstate county quads and 2 Canada-US county quads.
See message 9389 for my report on the interstate ones.  Someday I'll get the intrastate ones posted.

Jack