Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] re mason dixon preliminary points
Date: Oct 29, 2003 @ 19:14
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

As I recall, you're correct that the Post Mark'd West is *not* to same as
PADEMD. It was a reference point that established the latitude for the west
line. The actual tripoint was a bit west of the post.

Unfortunately for those who like neat lines and angles, PAMDDE did *not*
occur at the point where the New Castle Arc met the west line. Instead, the
800-acre or so Delaware Notch was the result. IIRC, the notch at one time
was claimed by PA after the three counties once controlled by Penn and his
heirs became Delaware instead of the three lower counties of Pennsylvania.
If this claim had stood, the PADEMD tripoint would be due south a mile or so
of where it presently is, and PA would have a miniscule "tooth" of territory
south of the Mason Dixon Line.