Subject: Re: new wrinkles dept
Date: Oct 22, 2003 @ 05:05
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> "The landward tripoint where the agreement forks into
disagreement" would be
> where the land boundary meets the Sea of Azov on its north
shore. The two
> nations differ on the status of the sea. The Ukraine wants to
delimit a
> boundary all the way through it to the existing boundary in the
Strait of Kerch,

good
this is the sector in question
where the dam is supposedly advancing on the supposedly
existing border

> making the Sea of Azov inland territorial waters of the two
nations. The
> Russian Federation wants some form of joint use of the sea.
>
> I have a map of the strait showing the boundary and the island
in question

good again
this could be the corroboration i am seeking

& if you are otherwise able to beam up the relevant map swatch
i am so sure that such fair noncommercial use would not
constitute any form of actual publication or violation that i would
agree to cover your penalties &or go to jail for you if you ever did
get busted for it

alternatively a hand copy or tracing
even just of the border in relation to the island
might do the trick nearly as well
for all practical purposes of dam monitoring

, but
> it is strictly not subject to publication. It's pretty straightforward.
The
> Kerch Peninsula comes in from the west, and the Taman
Peninsula comes in from
> the east. The Strait of Kerch cuts raggedly between them, with
the boundary
> running through it. Tuzla Island is on the Ukrainian side of the
boundary. The
> boundary shown through the strait has ends where the strait
opens out into the
> Sea of Azov to the north and the Black Sea to the south.

so there may be as many as 3 tripoints where agreement forks
into disagreement

or it may be truer to say
3 points where the agreed border ends in nonagreement

end of insertions

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

Strait
> > of Kerch,
> > > through which the Sea of Azov communicates with the
Black
> > Sea. The Kerch
> > > Peninsula west of the strait is Ukrainian, and the Taman
> > Peninsula east of the
> > > strait is Russian. A Russian local government is building a
> > "dam" (more like a
> > > dike) across part of the strait from the Taman Peninsula
and
> > wants to connect it
> > > to Tuzla Island in the strait. That island was connected to
the
> > Russian
> > > mainland until 1925, but it was assigned to the Soviet
Ukraine
> > in 1954. The
> > > Ukrainians are afraid that Russia will claim the island so
that
> > they can connect
> > > their dike to it.
> > >
> > > For a thorough exegesis of the issue, go to this Google
cache
> > of an article
> > > otherwise no longer available: http://tinyurl.com/rrul . Scroll
> > about a
> > > quarter of the way down the long page to the topic
"Ukraine."

> > > Lowell G. McManus
> > > Leesville, Louisiana, USA

common