Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Fw: non-ASCII lists
Date: Aug 30, 2003 @ 15:15
Author: John Seeliger ("John Seeliger" <jseelige@...>)

From: "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2003 7:45 AM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Fw: non-ASCII lists

> Sorry - I was "out of pocket" on a project for a client for the last
> few days, and couldn't review new msg until now.

np

> The archive on the CD is in html - each message appears as the page
> one sees when one reads on-line messages. Images are in the format
> used when they were downloaded to the photos or attached to the email
> messages.

OK. Might be hard to convert this to mbox format which is one of two
options they require for importing old messages. The other is a tar file.
We can just create it w/o the old messages and if we figure out a way, they
can be imported later.

> I doubt you will get a following on a usenet group, if usenet is where
> you asked for a new group. The name is too hard to promote and have
> remembered or be found by potentially interested participants. Why
> not just alt.boundarypoint or something simple, for which no
> permission is needed?

The reason for using gmane is Gmane is the gateway from mail to news and
visa versa. It would allow people to post as usual, without thinking about
the fact that their messages are being relayed to a ng and archived for
searching, should we have trouble with Yahoo!'s search engine, etc.
Besides, Lars indicated that the high volume we experience is not going to
be a problem (as long as messages don't exceed 1 MB).

I will email them and say to create it without importing the old messages.

BTW, how many messages did you download, and did you do them individually,
or did you use a script to automatically download them?