Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Yahoo's changing the rules on us
Date: Aug 28, 2003 @ 03:41
Author: John Seeliger ("John Seeliger" <jseelige@...>)

From: "acroorca2002" <orc@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 7:25 PM

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "John Seeliger"
>
> > I suggested and Bill even seemed to agree, but someone else
> suggested
> > scrapping the idea, so I didn't pursue it further, using
> gmane.org's
> > newsserver to mirror the archives and allow searching which
> seemed to be
> > having some difficulty on Yahoo!. I know it wouldn't allow
> archiving
> > photos, but if it could archive messages and allow searching, I
> think this
> > could be a valuable backup.
>
> in my opinion this or any other such enhancement you could so
> easily & gladly bring to bear would likely repay your effort many
> times over
>
> easily & gladly are the most operative words tho

I emailed Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, the adminstrator of gmane.org about
hosting a mailing list on gmane with binaries and this is his reply:

<<John Seeliger" <jseelige@...> writes:

> I am on a list that includes many non-ASCII messages, even with photos
> (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/). Am I correct in assuming
> attachments would not be archived? Would the emails be autoconverted, or
> would it not be possible to run such a list on gmane.org?

Gmane doesn't remove any attachments, and doesn't care about the
content type. (As long as it's not huge binaries.)

--
larsi@... * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen>>

Of course, therein lies the problem, since Len indicated that the archive is
450 MB in just over 3 years. That is substantial. I suppose if this is too
high, the digest version could be sent to the newsgroup since it would not
include the photos. I will tell Lars just how high the bandwidth of this
group is before a newsgroup is created.

Assuming we were to create a newsgroup, my first question about importing
old messages, which I never got answered is, does anyone have a complete or
nearly complete archive of the messages of their computer? Who has the MOST
complete one?

The second would be what to name the group? What hierarchy would it best
fit in? The gmane.* hierarchies are found at http://news.gmane.org/. My
preferences would be gmane.culture or gmane.recreation, but seeing that most
gmane.recreation groups are gmane.recreation.radio, maybe gmane.culture
would be best. Either gmane.culture.boundarypoint or
gmane.recreation.boundarypoint seem ok to me.

> over time i have noticed that the google search engine does
> increasingly penetrate our archive
>
> at first by surprise
> then with more tries almost predictably
> now maybe 10 percent or 1 percent anyway without fail it seems
> & perhaps even better tomorrow
>
> so our searchability may actually be constantly improving even
> without our doing anything other than just having fun
>
> but by all means i would say to you & everyone
> please do go ahead & do whatever you like so as to improve
> things

That is rather good news. BTW, do a lot of pics get archived by Google too?