Subject: Re: BZ-MX
Date: Aug 19, 2003 @ 14:32
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray (in Belize)
<doug@d...> wrote:

> More info about the BZGTMX tripoint: locals have confirmed the
> existence of 2 monuments. I have made loose arrangements
to visit the
> spot, but it involved visiting the spot with a group of young
Mennonite
> dirt bike riders. It is a 45 minute ride through the bush plus
about
> 400 metres of unauthorized Mexican entry. The kids that can
take me
> there are only available on certain weekends. I am shooting
for the
> first weekend in September.
>
> Meanwhile...
>
> We visited the small border crossing between Blue Creek
Village, Belize
> and La Union, Mexico. This is a water crossing, and we visited
it
> twice. The first night we stopped at the shack that is the Belize
> customs houseĀ… when no one took any notice of us, we
continued a couple
> of hundred meters to the water's edge. Once parked, we
walked to the
> Hondo River and called out in the darkness for someone to
come fetch
> us. From the Mexican side, someone yelled out and flashed a
> flashlight. Soon, a Mexican was paddling a small, long boat to
our
> side to fetch us.
>
> We hopped in, and a few seconds later, we were standing on
Mexican
> soil. There was no Mexican immigration officials to be seen,
although
> we've heard that during the day, you are asked for BZ$1 by a
soldier.
> The boat is BZ$2 each way, but we arrange to pay when we
return, which
> will be after about an hour of swilling Corona and eating real
Mexican
> food.
>
> The return trip goes without any problems, until we drive up to
Belize
> customs. The customs guy and a cop are pissed off: they
want to know
> why we didn't check in. After a bunch of "yes sirs," and "no
sirs," we
> are on our way.
>
> The next night, we attempt the same crossing, and make sure
our
> departure from Belize is noted. After more excellent beer and
food, we
> return to Belize and are on our way. Pictures to be posted in
Sept.

> Cheers!
>
> Doug

> Doug Murray Productions - Border Films
>
> Currently on location in Belize, Central America
>
> Please contact me normally via email.
> Via phone: 011-501-223-7256

another great play doug
& having secured & scheduled your guided transport at such
close range
you may already consider your try at least a true class e

so maxicongrats are already in order imo
for having attained your full share of the world class gold medal
with no fewer than 25 tricountry points tried
no matter what else happens or doesnt happen

& here is a rare map showing both blue creek & bzgtmx
possibly even including 3 of your mennonites too
http://tinyurl.com/kgw2

the word mexico is misplaced in this map tho
which may well have other mistakes too
since it disagrees in many ways with a better map i once saw
that showed a primitive road in belize passing within 1km of the
tripoint

but anyway back to this the best map we do have
obviously mexico must stay beyond the little blue creek that is
shown just beyond the community of blue creek

the blue creek itself is aka rio azul the bzmx border stream

so i guess la union mx is not shown but just opposite blue creek

you could use this map tho to show the belize border guard at
blue creek that you never thought you left mexico
haha
in fact how can he be so sure he is even in belize
etc

anyway in reality mx is in both the ne & nw corners of this map
& gt is the sw
while bz is actually everywhere else

great locals you have too
just as we figured

i wonder if the roughly 400m of mx they are talking about isnt just
the round trip of the roughly 200m between the old & new
monuments

& if so then technically it could as easily be 400m of gt as mx

or 400m of gtmx
if you can walk the line & thus violate neither country

or claim you thought the old monument was still true
& you are sure you have been in belize the whole time
etc

but what is most fascinating is that it is now looking like you have
a clear shot for a class aa visit to a nonexistent tripoint

not to mention a whole extra week or weekend
to cool your & our heels & bag el trifinio gthnsv for us
on the way to this already great triumph