Subject: Re: an earlier if looser try for mnndsd
Date: Jul 30, 2003 @ 13:35
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

oops me too
as i inadvertently cropped the rock i meant to show you
thinking to save bytes
dohh

& am still tweaking my crazy scanner to give you a better fix on it
as well as a better quality scan
but for now suffice to say the subject in that pic is standing about
a yard north of a visible rock
albeit not as visible as the rock in your 80 foot pic

& since i only recall the one rock
& like yourself also recall how near & yet so far it seemed from
the target point depicted on the topo
i think it is probably the same rock as appears in the foreground
of your 80 foot pic
presumably exactly upon the ndsd line there
but i cant be sure it is the same rock because the grass was
taller when i visited

& if it is the same rock
i think it probably hasnt moved much in the interim
but cant even be sure about that

& since the witness marker appeared to have been so rough
hewn as well as frost heaved
& its north & south faces looked unreliable for gauging due east
i disregarded them for getting my best available bearing
as i trust you also did

indeed i am just assuming your instrumentation gave you a
better fix on the true bearing of the ndsd line than i ever got by
shooting the sun
or rather by trying to replicate the bearing of the access road
since the grass on it was over the roof of my truck

also i am pretty sure the season was september
& the descending sun brilliant enough to have still been several
degrees above the horizon & thus several degrees south of its
setting point at the moment the picture was made
which is why i made this class b photo try
as i recall
a bit south of the shadow of the witness monument
yet apparently still a bit north of your rock
or my rock
or our rock
as the case may be

so i imagine we are talking maybe 5 degrees of disagreement
one way or the other rather than anything like a 180
tho i realize i too am quite capable of a 180
hahaha

& my 80 feet was measured by pacing rather than tape measure
& without hesitation or regret given the cartographic parameters
so that could explain why it seems maybe 10 percent short when
compared to yours
if indeed it can be compared to yours
etc

but anyway
how did you get your due east bearing & your measurements
& within what level of accuracy would you estimate them

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
<bjbutler@b...> wrote:
> Oops, please disregard my previous post. It was 180 degrees
out of
> phase. Was this picture in spring or fall? I don't think it could
be
> a summer shot because your shadows are cast to the north,
implying

<maxivan82@h...> wrote:
> > thanx brian
> > & you may remember the attached pic from the paleo corner
corner

> > it records a topo assisted but zero tech 20th century class b
try
> for mnndsd
> > made actually with eyes closed
> >
> > note position of rock in ground at that time
> >
> > the photographer jc appears in shadow to sit crosslegged
atop the
> witness
> > monument
> > as she creates the pic of the pointer meditating upon the
point
> > & making a virtue of having to squint one eye at the sunset &
the
> other at
> > the bugs anyway
> > & with his shadow similarly hyperextended for maximum
possible

> > The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2
months FREE*