Subject: Re: re eelvru
Date: Jul 29, 2003 @ 22:32
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jan S. Krogh"
<jan.krogh@t...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Thanks for your comments! I am sorry I could respond to them
at once.
> The barbed wire fence is only some kind of a practicle
administration line
> as we also saw at LTPLRU. It is more or less at the coming
border line, but
> not exactly as Jesper commented. So far it is not yet possible
to determine
> the tripoint
> more presicely than in the middle of the river at post 46+1379.

thank you very much indeed jan

& please indulge my continuing try for this admittedly impossible
or at least very probably impossible determination

i believe you have already indicated & if so i agree
that there are at the moment not 1 but 2 eelvru tripoints
& our group has evidently bagged them both at least class c
which means we have bagged eelvru
if not in the usual sense
then at least by bagging all of its known probabilities

for it seems to me in such a case 1 plus 1 equals 1

the first of these ones
the relict but still technically de jure soviet administrative tripoint
at the precise thalweg junction roughly 2 meters below soviet
eeru monument 47
possibly also replacing the former eelv monument number 2

& the second one
the previous de jure tricountry point
from the 1920s til at least the 1940s
as well as the apparently actual de facto tricountry point in 2003
as well as the prospectively resurrected de jure tricountry point
hush hush but looking highly probable etc
all rolled up into a single point
& thus in several regards the more presumptive one of these two
distinct probabilities

again located at the pededze thalweg
& again very near the monument in this case 46 plus 1379
it being the probable replacement of the old eelv monument 1

& that much i think we may agree to

but what i am still trying to determine
because i still think it may be determinable from what you saw
is the last few centimeters to the correct positioning of this latter
or upper of the 2 tripoint positions

& i believe the barbed wire fence & the latvian warning sign just
below it stand a fair chance of accurately indicating the russian &
latvian edges respectively of the present de facto & once & future
de jure lvru border strip

i think you know the strip i mean
the standard frontier margin sometimes also called the clear cut
which normally falls between the pairs of tall wooden posts
& technically comprises equal halves of the territories of the
facing countries

this reading may be less presumptive for the latvian sign but it
seems virtually unavoidable in the case of the fence line
& regardless of whether the fence is administrative or proprietary

a fence can be a very telling sort of clue
& thats why i am taking the trouble to keep searching & test it out

if my guess is right
the general bearing of the fence
rather than the position of its end point
should tell you at what angle from the monument to look for the
tripoint on the thalweg

that is the only datum you are missing
isnt it

but i think it may actually be staring us in the face here
thats all

you are content to say
well we cant tell because nothing seems to line up very well
but it is probably somewhere along here on the thalweg
say perhaps roughly perpendicular to the monument
while i am still trying to make butter out of air here
by deriving the angle from monument to tripoint
by simply replicating the bearing of this fence thru the monument
thats all

assuming i am seeing all this correctly with my minds eye
& that you will correct me if i have anything misplaced

& ultimately we are talking probably only some centimeters of
difference here anyway

but if we can make the guess & the try
well why stop til we are all as satisfied as possible

> Until the border is accepted by all three parties anything may
happen, for
> instanse solely hypotecally that one part will loose or gain
some area due
> to e.g. an adjustment another place. We did not hear about any
such
> possibility, but who knows since we so far know very little
about what
> actually has happened in this area.

correct
but we still think we have both horns of the dilemma covered
& that there are no other or more probable horns than these 2

> The only practical way reaching this trifinium would be in winter
when it is
> frozen! I would not reccomend to wade or swim as the river is
too big.
> (Kayaks are more popular in Greenland than in Latvia where a
canoe or
> rowboat would be easier to get if needed.)
> The EELVRU page is to be updated with more trifinium
photoes.

wow
taken secretly while under guard
wonderful
just say when & i will be there
in fact i will double back right now
& thanx again for bearing with me

it is only because i care & it is incredibly fun