Subject: Re: re mx2memopu
Date: Jul 24, 2003 @ 12:20
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Sorry about that .png image. I attached it, wrote a paragraph in
the message to
> explain it, decided not to include it after all, deleted the
paragraph, but
> forgot to detach the file. I have converted it to a .jpg image and
attached it
> to this message just for you to see.

good show lowell & thanx

more insertions below

> It is a custom-generated topographic map from the web site of
the Instituto
> Nacional de Estadística Geografía e Infomática. See their topo
map generator at
> http://tinyurl.com/huue and their main site at www.inegi.gob.mx
.

bravo
youve done it again
for this site does very much appear to be the quantum leap we
have been desiring & expecting for mexico

indeed i immediately used it to check out all 3 of our favorite
elusive to mythical quadripoints of zacatecas
first & foremost conusaza
our brightest hope for a 4corners of the south
plus the more doubtful dujanaza & gujasaza prospects

& this site busts them all
fairly persuasively

however
your caveat about possible inexactitudes is well taken
so i can stand to wait for further discreditation
before absolutely writing them all off

The brown
> lines are the state boundaries (México to the northwest, Puebla
to the
> southeast, and the wedge of Morelos from the southwest). As
you can see, this
> places the trifinium a bit to the southwest of the summit. What
I don't know is
> if this is real or just an artifact of a misalignment of the
computer data used
> to generate the boundaries and those used to draw the
contour lines. After all,
> I might be zoomed in more than the integrity of the data will
withstand.

good point
& we have long expected these geodetic data to be fairly wacky
as well as hard to get at

well expressly since message 10312 anyway

but since i was already leaning toward the sw side of the cone
as well as expecting nothing but geodetics for the mexican state
lines based on everything i had seen previously
i was very impressed by the map victor just brought in in 11056
which shows the morelos wedge following a pair of ravines
seemingly converging but petering out well below the summit
& suggesting that both this & your map swatches as well as my
earlier swatch & guess may well be at least approximately
correct to place the tripoint on the sw slope just above the heads
of these ravines

& i realize this would turn your class d prospect into a class e
so i am also glad to hold on for some better news here too
& not jump to any hard conclusion even with 3 maps in hand
since we still dont know for sure what if anything we can hang
our hat on

> The thought also occurs that the peak of an active volcano
might move about over
> the centuries. If so, might it go off an leave a trifinium? Would
it make a
> difference if the mountain grew by accretion or avulsion? LOL

thats what i like to hear

the appearance of all this gis data makes it seem likely that the
tristate point is geodetically fixed rather than descriptive in terms
of natural features
& therefore unlikely to ever move without human help

but yikes just as unlikely to ever be found without human help

cries of help
& cheers

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/