Subject: Re: mnndsd ideas
Date: Jul 14, 2003 @ 23:38
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

another possible source of the difference between the usgs
tripoint position & the tripoint position suggested by the witness
monument could be an avulsion occurring not after but prior to
the ndsd survey
yikes

after all
the damn line had been a thalweg boundary here since
minnesota statehood in 1858

& the witness rock doesnt actually claim the tripoint is 9 chains
east
but only that the point of beginning of the survey is 9 chains east

& the surveyors may or may not have even known whether the
thalweg they identified in 1891 was the unavulsed & still
accreting original 1858 border thalweg
nor does the witness marker attest to the authenticity of the 9ce
position as a tripoint position then or at any time

obviously a damn freezing avulsion could easily have occurred at
this location at any time between 1858 & 1891
just as easily as the one suspected for 1912

& there is the added clue that the boundary of the sisseton
indian reservation created in 1869 also follows the same dry
former channel a few miles upstream from mnndsd
rather than the contemporary channel
so that could date the defining avulsion to between 1858 & 1869
yikes

not making an outright claim but some hard data to dismiss

& such a prior avulsion could just as easily be the source of the
alternate channel & tripoint depicted by the usgs topo
as any similarly hypothetical 1912 adjustment

& if a pre1891 foreclosure of damn by avulsion is found to have
actually been the case
then ndsde aka mnndsd was already fixed in the dry former bed
80 feet east of the witness rock even as the 9 chains were being
measured off across it

so if a pre1891 topo could be found already showing both beds
or any similarly definitive documentation
say in the land offices etc
then that alone might suffice to nail the tripoint position to the old
bed as depicted by usgs
even before the ndsd demarcation began by skipping across it

& such a bizarre eventuality cant be ruled out just because it
didnt occur to us for so long

for it might have been obvious at the time
at least to somebody
or might have been recognized as an unresolved issue then
tho forgotten today

indeed it might even solve the mystery of why the witness marker
is so enigmatic & noncommittal about what it is attesting to

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> good idea
> maybe even better than asking the tax assessors
>
> also i keep bumping into references to a so called
> adjustment of 1912
> performed on the bois de sioux river bed
> possibly in conjunction with a regional wetlands to farmlands
> program
>
> so thats my present best guess as to the date & cause of the
> mnndsd position indicated on the topo
> as well as the year i would begin looking into
> wherever & however actually proceeding on this search
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
> <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > Whenever the US federal government undertakes such
works
> as mentioned below, it
> > has to obtain (either through negotiation or eminent domain)
> the necessary land
> > titles or easements from the private owners. Since land titles
> and easements
> > are held under state law, even when the federal government
is
> a party, the
> > pertinent deeds would be recorded in the courthouses of the
> three counties.
> > They could be revealing, not only as to what the feds did to
the
> river and when,
> > but also which states have jurisdiction where.
> >
> > Lowell

USGS
> DAMN line
> > > to the current river course would have to be man-made
> because there is
> > > not enough curvature on the cut bank of the DAMN line to
> result in a
> > > natural avulsion. So, maybe we are looking for evidence of
> > > paleo-straightening between 1890 and 1930, perhaps as a
> prelude to the
> > > more extravagant work performed by the USACE, and
> perhaps to rectify
> > > shifting boundary lines.
> > >
> > > BJB
> > >
> > > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"