Subject: Re: for the record & the exhortation
Date: Jun 30, 2003 @ 20:01
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

ok thanx
so after all that & lots of other improbabilities not yet mentioned
we finally arrive at ellis island
& the ferry practically deposits us right on top of the point of origin
of the new njny boundary that is our primary quest object
indeed the very & only point from among the 192 superfine
metes & bounds we figured we had any hope of finding at all

so there we are almost immediately on our hands & knees like
immigrants right there at dockside with lines of people waiting
around & being disgorged from ferries all about us if not quite on
top of us

& we have our blueprint & tape measure & protractor & chalk out
on the brick sidewalk there
& we are very carefully eyeballing every wall & angle & comparing
everything with this incredibly precise & complete architectural
map we have at 1 to 900 scale
so even without a gps receiver
we are able to work our way & zero in on our target point to within
i would guess a very few inches & possibly even down to the
correct centimeter
for we are being so careful

& after lightly chalking a few intermediate points on our
experimental route to the objective
& then double checking everything
asher finally & definitely marks our very well earned first point
with quite a thick chalky cross
right there on the sidewalk
before hundreds of amazed &or amused witnesses

& indeed i am sure we have thus already made our best point
at least class b
right then & there
no muss no fuss
& that we have thus truly exhorted & begun to mark new njny for
the first time in its brief history

so
since there is already little doubt that we have already paid the
ultimate visit here
against all odds & obstacles
& within probably only the thickness of the chalk lines
we proceed to throw caution to the winds
& next we quickly locate point 192 with similarly good assurance
of accuracy
& are already well on our way to chalking off the entire 60 foot
long terminal mete between points 192 & point 1
right there in everyones face & across a ferry gangway
when just like mason & dixon & ellicott before us
we are finally stopped by the locals
as represented in this case by a national park service ranger
arresting us on a charge of vandalism

he says if we have a permit then what we are doing may be work
but otherwise it is vandalism
& we can apply for our permit as soon as tomorrow
hmm
but meanwhile we are very briefly but emphatically under arrest
until it occurs to me to properly baptize & render invisible once
again our new little state line by pouring our drinking water on it
which causes the ranger to relax & finally to leave

& that was the end of our visible & beautiful new line per se
but more of our extravagant little adventure later
as i am curious to see what message number we have reached
so far

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray
<doug@d...> wrote:
> Details!
> Please!
>
> On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 08:43 AM, m donner wrote:
>
> > ok well i see we still have a nice try going here for the bp
monthly
> > message
> > total record
> > but yikes i figure we still need about 30 more messages in
the next 15
> > hours
> > & you have all gone off to work on a monday morning & left
me minding
> > the
> > amusement park
> > so i will just have to report periodically all day rather than all
at
> > once
> > on the otherwise entirely petite expedition asher & i made to
ellis
> > island
> > yesterday
> > & i certainly hope he or anyone else footloose enough will
join in too
> > because monday is usually a very slow day here at bp
> > & i doubt i can break the record all by myself
> > & i know i cant tell the entire ineffable tale of our doing the
> > impossible
> > there
> > by exhorting & even materializing the invisible
> > however little & briefly it may have been
> > even if i had 60 messages
> > but i will return in a while & do what i can
> > to stretch it out & yet stuff it in
> >
> > for now let me just report it was an unqualified success
> > & invite any questions or comments before proceeding to
take a break

> > The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2
months FREE*

> <image.tiff>

Service.