Subject: Re: DEFRLU + BEDELU
Date: Jun 30, 2003 @ 15:46
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> L. A. Nadybal wrote:
>
> > a. There is a piece of land on the France-Condo border in
white.
> According to the Legend, the pink is the joint sovereignty area -
and
> the piece of land is not in pink, not in Luxembourg proper and not
in
> Germany proper, either.
>
> Actually, the map shows TWO such mystery areas: (1) The end of the
island that
> sticks from France into the condominium; and (2) the jetty or wing-
wall that
> extends twice as far from the lock in France at the left edge of
the lower map.

> Actually, I think these lands and the bridge as well are within the
condominium.
> Notice that in the legend, the German and French texts relating to
the condo are
> right beside the island and bridge. I think they're saying that
everything
> between the pink dashed lines is condo (including lavender water
and white lands
> and bridge). All dry DELU boundary lines and those fronting the
condo are shown
> as pink dashed lines, and there are none around the white island.

Not only that, but I think that _all_ land is white on these maps.
Only the water is coloured - pink when it is condominal, very light
blue when it is not. The borders depicted define the areas.

The border is actually marked on both the walls alongside the channel
leading to the lock. This is marked on the maps by an "x" (Likewise,
the border is clearly marked on bridges, and even on bridgeheads,
e.g. in Kappeshausen). See also the files section here at BP, delu
folder, BorderPointemail.doc. That only means that the parts of
island and jetty don't belong to France, of course, but it would
indeed be strange if they didn't belong to the condominium when this
isn't mentioned anywhere (and it should be mentioned at least in the
document Jesper showed us).

Peter S.