Subject: Re: Esmeralda/Nye notch near Tonopah
Date: Jun 13, 2003 @ 03:22
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

welcome at last adam
after 22 months of lurking
a new bp record
& thanx for the interesting question too

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "adamnvillani" <avillani@u...>
wrote:
> For a while, I've stared at maps of Nevada and wondered about how the
> seat of Nye County, NV, (Tonopah) is on a road (US-95) that seems to
> go just barely over the county line from Esmeralda County. So, one of
> the largest counties in the country has a seat that almost not in
> that county.

neither of these occurrences in itself is very unusual
but please see below

I took a look at the USGS map of the area, and it seems
> like the county line was laid out with a little notch in it to give
> the area within a couple miles of Tonopah all over to Nye County. The
> line trends NW/SE, but there's a notch carved out of it that runs
> directly E/W and then directly N/S to make a little extra room for
> Tonopah in Nye. Does anyone know the history of this? Why didn't they
> do the opposite and make Tonopah part of Esmeralda County? Do the
> county lines pre-date the town? It seems like the chronology of
> events might be 1) original county line 2) town is founded 3) county
> line is adjusted.

precisely right on all counts
1864 nye county is formed
1905 tonopah becomes its 3rd county seat
1913 your boundary change is enacted

a fascinating fact about nevada is that all of its county seats have
always been the leading mining &or milling town of their county
& they have always changed with every boom & bust

in this case the boundary jog was added in order to insert not the town
of tonopah itself into nye county
since it was already well within the existing boundary
but rather only to include some of its major mines with it

& they didnt do it the opposite way because that would have deprived
nye county of its seat
& moreover esmeralda county already had a seat