Subject: shortest interstate transit was Re: Hancok, MD
Date: Jun 09, 2003 @ 15:50
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

well this flash dash of interstate 684 across connecticut may be
the shortest such interstate highway interstate transit in america

& for the first decades of its existence
when i was practically living on it
it performed this flash without so much as a raincoat

not even an interstate route indicator shield saying connecticut
rather than new york in small print above the number 684

& certainly no welcome to connecticut mat
nor welcome back to new york
in either direction

i believe the reason for all these omissions was that greenwich
the connecticut town involved
is quiet money

but anyway i commonly amazed & amused fellow travelers thru it
by swearing we were in connecticut during that passage
when all their believing & seeing flatly denied this
or at least couldnt support it

i even won a few wagers over it too

i believe there may be shorter interstate dead ends
such as possibly interstate 66 in dc
but dont know of any shorter state crossings

& which reminds me
if you &or arif &or anyone else would still like to do the pchcjbe
aka petit central hudson central june border exhilaration
with the shortest interstate line in america & its official blueprint
i am still able & willing
except monday june 16
so please do proceed if & when ready

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Asher Samuels
<asher972@y...> wrote:
> Gee, and I used to think that I-684's quick trip into Connecticut
was special.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4550217&e=60757
8&s=50

> Asher Samuels
> asher972@y...
> --- Brendan <pit.hokie@a...> wrote:
> > Great find, Michael! Although further viewing leads me to
believe that
> > this road remains in New Mexico the whole time.
> > Not to get too off-topic, but US 340, which runs through
Virginia, into
> > West Virginia and then back into Virginia for only several
hundred feet is
> > thought to be the shortest. This location is near the
MD/VA/WV tripoint.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.32360922847994&lo
n=-77.706354276978&s=25&symshow=n

> > Also up for consideration is US 161 in the Four Corners area
(NM/CO/AZ/UT
> > quadpoint).

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=36.996859594201005&l
on=-109.03193193499461&s=25&symshow=n