Subject: Re: Grand Slam - "New" Neutral Zone & Quadpoint
Date: Jun 07, 2003 @ 09:05
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just created a new album in the Photos database, entitled
"Neutral
> Zones". I populated it with two Korean military maps.
>
> On the Han River, from the point where the Demilitarized
Zone's
> western end meets the river, there is a Neutral Zone extending
> westward to a UN Zone separating Korea from China.

wait len
china is totally in foul territory
so you cant mean china

& the bases werent loaded anyway
but i agree you are out of the ballpark

what you have here is just the wet extension of the dmz that is
open to innocent shipping

it is still part of the dmz

please see article 1 paragraph 5 of the 1953 dmz treaty

the dmz as a whole is the actual neutral zone
a true no mans land
or rather a true neithers land

& this exceptional so called neutral zone of the dmz is the one
part of the dmz that isnt quite so neutral as the rest
for it is actually more like a joint zone
insofar as both parties have the right of innocent passage

it is still real dmz tho as far as both shores

& i agree there could well be dmz claves anywhere the united
nations is present whether as an actual buffer or not
for real clave freaks
tho i dont know about that or them

anyway
there are of course numerous multipoints in all this mess
because the lines distinguishing the various parts do of course
meet at various places
but it is just a lot of whiffleball in relation to real multipointing

by contrast
the 4 de facto tripoints on cyprus
where the united nations buffer zone meets 2 of the 3 other
entities actually present there
whether greco or turko or anglo
are at least really multipartite
in every case

The map sections
> show the SW and NE ends of the Zone.
>
> For you tri and quadpoint freaks, the eastern end of the Neutral
Zone
> ends at the demarcation line in the center of the demilitarized
zone
> separating north and south Korea. The Quadpoint there
separates
> international entities as follows:
>

> NK DMZ | UN DMZ
> |
> ------ ------- River bank
> |
> Neutral | SKorea
> |

> West of the Neutral Zone there are islands either within the
North
> Korean waters or international waters (in any case north of the
DMZ)
> that other maps also show with international borders around
them.
> inside the marked sea borders, there are annotations "Island
Under UN
> Control".
>
> So now we have the concept of sovereign south Korea with
enclaves