Subject: Re: Tin Bigha map
Date: May 29, 2003 @ 18:54
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte
<bwhyte@u...> wrote:
> Me too. I suspect it is a poor quality sketch map, as I have a
copy of the
> original document in my files, and it was refenced in my thesis:
> ***
> Govt of India, 1992, "Tin bigha- A Proper Perspective", 10pp +
6pp
> annexures, New Delhi?. Annexure 1 is a map of
Dahagam-Angarpota, with an
> inset of Tin Bigha itself. This would seem to be the original
map used by
> many other subsequently, for a lack of other sources. In
particular, Roy
> Pradhan, 1995 [ie his booklet "Rule of Jungle"] and several
newspaper
> articles. Only Dahagram-Angarpota enclave is shown, non of
the others in
> the area.
> ***
> So if you obtained Roy Pradhan's book, you have the map.

on the other hand
if you can just visualize a rectangle about the size of a small
football stadium
wedged lengthwise between a pair of huge parking lots
stretching to the horizon beyond both end zones
well basically thats tin bigha

& if you can then mentally insert this stadium into the tin bigha
area map shown with the full parking lots toward the end of
http://www.aasianst.org/catalog/asn611vanschen.pdf
then i think you will have as good an idea as it is possible to get
until the real albeit admittedly poor stuff finally finds its way to us

this 2002 article btw has other interesting maps pix & words too
which we have seen before but perhaps not completely digested

for example on page 125 there is the shocking news that there
may well be as many as 3 counterclaves
where we had until now only been expecting 1
our hitherto unquestioned worldwide singularity

the trio are identified as 1 bdinbd named haluapara
& 2 inbdins named batrigachh & moshaldanga

so i am wondering brendan if you can elaborate on these
spectacular if previously unnoticed revelations

or the new reduced official clave counts given by this article

or anything else here you might like to comment on

> Quick plug: only one copy of my book left: Aust $90+post($30 to
US/Europe)

great news
& i even happen to know one lucky new buyer too

but does this mean we can now look forward to seeing the book
online once the last copy is sold out
with full maps & pix too

> That Indian High Commission site is quite impressive. Fast,
useful,
> friendly. A pity the Tin Bigha map And the search function don't
work.
> They issue over 300,000 visas to Bangladeshis each year.
That's over 1000
> per Day. Which sounds a lot, until you consider that there are
120 million
> Bangladeshis. So that's about one per 400 people in the
country.
> What proportion of Brits visit France, or of Americans visit
Canada each year?
> 630,000 Australians visit NZ annually, that's 1in 30, and that
requires a
> 3+hour flight.
> 200,000 Britons visit NZ, that's one in 300, and involves a 24hr
flight.

yes but since it costs money to travel
dont forget to multiply the 400 bangladeshis per visitor by their
average incomes or net worth or something
& to use the actual population to visitor ratios
of the actual british & french
or the actual canadians & americans
who actually have a border in common
& to multiply these by their average incomes or net worths also
or you will just be comparing more apples to pineapples to
potatoes
& not really evaluating the work of the indian high commission

not to mention that of the bangladeshi high commission
if any

just goofing here as usual of course
but i am serious about the earlier questions above