Subject: Re: Enclaves under 0.86acres
Date: May 23, 2003 @ 14:55
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

maxi thanxxx brendan for this exceedingly gratifying & indeed
overwhelming post

& apologies too for having asked a much bigger favor & job than
i had imagined it would be

several hopefully rewarding insertions below

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte
<bwhyte@u...> wrote:

> >dear brendan especially
> >
> >i am interested in first identifying all the cooch behar claves
smaller than
> >that size
> >& in then carefully examining the nature & length of the
perimeter of each
> >such candidate
> >in as much exact detail as is presently known or knowable
> >so as to further qualify or completely disqualify each of them
> >
> >now i get the feeling there may only be a small handful of
such qualifier
> >claves in all of cooch behar
> >& just knowing which ones they all are by size & name would
be a big
> >advancement for me
> >for that would at least entirely surround the question for the
first time

> >& then secondly
> >if i could somehow just pick your book
> >but preferably your brain too
>
> Going by the book, (and you could always buy the book, Mike I
have 2 copies
> left that need loving homes)

yes indeed
in fact i have already bought it in my heart as you know
for which & other particulars anyone please see message 6604

& now that it appears to be practically out of print
the offering price at that time of about 69 simoleons must have
risen a good deal since
so i am a little shy to even ask again

for were you to accept in trade everything i have ever written
i still dont think i could equal your value 4500 messages ago
not to even imagine what it might be now

#48,49,50,44,45,46;
> Bangladesh in India: Banerjee's #2,4,5,
> 53,54,56,60,64,65,68,74,75,76,77,78,80,84,87,90,93,94

positively awesome news

i hadnt dreamt that anything like this degree of uncertainty could
still prevail there

also the very notion that these 27 claves might be subclaves of
larger claves in a political sense just staggers me
coming from my naively & purely topological approach

indeed such a delicious possibility hadnt even dawned on me

also the notion that any or all of these 27 could yet prove to be
even smaller & of shorter perimeter than the smallest one you
have so far positively identified here below at point26 acres

which latter btw might otherwise have been summarily declared
the smallest clave in the world
but now not so fast i tell myself

more to the point of the question tho & even more staggering
is the realization that the supposedly known area data for all the
claves of which these 27 are subclaves must therefore be
correspondingly reduced by their areas

so it now appears there could be as many as twice these 27
or 54 out of the total of 198 cooch behar claves with actually
unknown individual areas
nor do we or at least i even know which are the actually known &
which are the actually incorrect of these supposedly known area
data

so the revelation of missing & combined data appears to vastly
complicate my task not just initially but even moreso in the
unknown ramifications for the data set as a whole

but fortunately there is a saving grace i will get around to below

for now in summary there are known to be at least these above
27 that might qualify
plus the following 13 of which probably only 4 or 5 stand any real
chance of winning
plus possibly others that would make the cut after their subclave
subtractions are known

> Of those for which separate areas are available:
> Banerjee's # / Name / Area (acres)
> India in Bangladesh:
> 52, a Fragment of Dahala Khagrabri enclave, 0.44
> 38, Natatoka, 0.26 [damn, i found a smaller one than 0.27!]
> 41, Bewladanga Chhat, 0.83
> 23, Najirgonja [Nazirganj], 0.77
> 15, Najirgonja [Nazirganj], 0.52
> 5, Garati, 0.79
> 98, Banskata, 0.77
> 110, Banskata, 0.28
> 105, Banskata, 0.64
> 61, Upanchowki Kuchlibari., 0.32
> 79, Panisala, 0.27
>
> Bangladesh in India:
> 9, Nazirganj, 0.72
> 14, Upanchowki Bhajni 24, 0.71
>
> Now the smallest perimeter to area is when a boundary is a
circle. Thus the
> smallest possible area is 0.26ac = 1052sq m >>> circle of
diameter 36.6m
> and hence a circumference of 115m
> But none of the enclaves are circular. The largest ones have
wiggly
> boundaries, but they all follow roads, rice paddy bunds and
occasionally
> streams, though as stream and rivers change course a lot,
what may
> originally have been riverbank boundaries, are now high and
dry until
> diluviated again. It's a very complicated area hydraulically and
cadastrally.

yes here is the saving grace
for all the indications you have given above & elsewhere point to
the fact that there really are very few if any truly geodetic borders
anywhere in cooch behar
not to mention any single entirely geodetically bounded clave
for such is the extreme improbability that we are really looking for

but instead every border detail reported so far without exception
seems to be based on physical features
& no matter whether these are natural or manmade features
the bottom line is fractal fractal fractal everywhere you look

& the overwhelming implications of this for the question at hand
are firstly that the 209 meter baarle clave you have already
identified must be presumed to be the global winner unless &
until any more persuasively geodetic data emerge from cooch
behar
& secondly that an asterisk remains to be awarded to whichever
of the probably 28 remaining cooch behar candidates for worlds
smallest clave proves if ever to actually have the smallest area
because i can think of no better or easier tiebreak than area for
determining which of the technically infinite fractal borders might
arguably be the shortest

however a double asterisk may then also need to be awarded for
people like kevin who might still want to use the equally
commendable tiebreak method of actually walking off the
boundaries of the several smallest candidates til a clear winner
emerges by that method too
albeit very probably a different clear winner

granted it isnt terribly satisfying to countenance the possibility of
there being 3 different winners at once
& all somewhat in conflict with each another
& especially when only one of them can even be seriously
entertained & celebrated at this time
but i think that is where the matter really stands
based on the state of our knowledge at this time

> So we can approximate their perimeters to all intents and
purposes by
> rectangles.
> so 0.26ac = 1052m2 is a square of side 32.4m and so
perimeter of 130m.
> Again a square is the minimum perimetered rectangle, so the
boundary is
> likely to be slightly longer.
> But as no decent maps are available, and the nature of Indian
land
> surveying, land use etc does not allow for the same precision
as in Baarle,
> we can't get down to cm length for the enclaves.
> But 130-150m seems a reasonable guess.
>
> As for the second boundary cross, I know where the
information is, but it
> is unavailable to mere mortals such as we.

ahh but you have saved the best for last
for we aint mortal at all buddy
not you since message 6604 & not me since all fools day 1997

& what do you mean unavailable

for even if the above questions werent so urgent
can we even sit still if there is any stray chance of nailing down
one more border cross for this our most distinguished global
ensemble

but just tell us flat out
if not the info itself
then exactly where do we apply for an application